• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ELECTRICAL PROBLEM - Roland XC 540 ProIII

emagraphics

Im going to try and not be so wordy but very descriptive:

I have an XC540 ProIII - My problem started when running a test pattern. The Black head was missing a full side, I ran a few medium cleans and no luck getting the head to fire. I dismantled the machine to check the dampers and the capping heads. The dampers checked out fine (this is where the nightmare begins)

I disconnected the ribbon cables and dampers on the black head to ensure there was nothing going on there (process of elimination). When re connecting the ribbon cables I forgot to unplug the machine :0 (****!!!) there was a spark. I fired the machine up - ran another pattern test - Now Yellow and black are not printing. I figured I blew a fuse. So I turned the machine off, unplugged machine and began tearing the machine down to look for the panel boards or fuse board (clueless at this stage).

I couldnt find anything that resembled a fuse. I thought I would try and run another test so I plugged everything back in and now the main panel LCD wont come on!!! WTF!!! All I see is $$$$$ signs. Now Im no certified tech but Ive replaced heads and dampers and pumps on Mimakis and serviced this machine a few times so I felt confident with checking things out on the roland.

so problems listed below:

Black and yellow head not fireing
Panel board not working

any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated --

Desert_Signs

You at least shorted out your head board. It's on the back of the machine, under the cover above the ink carts.

There are fuses on that board. They are about the size of a tic-tac.

Hate to tell you though, you're almost assuredly going to need a new head board ($1100) or send it out to mac media ($225) to be repaired.

Karen-Kang

Im going to try and not be so wordy but very descriptive:

I have an XC540 ProIII - My problem started when running a test pattern. The Black head was missing a full side, I ran a few medium cleans and no luck getting the head to fire. I dismantled the machine to check the dampers and the capping heads. The dampers checked out fine (this is where the nightmare begins)

t
I couldnt find anything that resembled a fuse. I thought I would try and run another test so I plugged everything back in and now the main panel LCD wont come on!!! WTF!!! All I see is $$$$$ signs. Now Im no certified tech but Ive replaced heads and dampers and pumps on Mimakis and serviced this machine a few times so I felt confident with checking things out on the roland.

so problems listed below:

Black and yellow head not fireing
Panel board not working

any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated --

1.Black and Yellow head not fired, but cannot printing?
2.check your headboard, headboard damage can also fire your printhead.
3.when some color cannot print out, always exclude head cables, headboard,dampers,captop,,,then finally the printhead. One by one .

emagraphics

Thank you guys for your input - Desert Signs Im not dicking around with the fuses - I took your advice and contacted Mac Media... Its funny you had mentioned that company as I found them online last night but wasnt too sure about sending the part. Ive seen a few people mention them so I went ahead and used them.

Karen-Kang thank you too - I did in fact check the dampers, cap tops and ribbons for the head issue -- It was my dumb *** for not unplugging the printer when plugging the ribbon cable back in!! such a rookie move and I kick myself cause Ive worked on Mimakis for a long time and that is the first thing I do (DAMN!!!) I got over zealous to fix the first problem. Im just hoping that none of the other heads are fried - I knew the black was on its way out (Cross fingers)

again I appreciate the input. I will put a shout out to mac media once the ordeal is done.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Ok, just tacking on something. And you may have done it and just not mentioned it. When ever a head is only firing half, check ink level physically. Not to sound stupid, but I have made that mistake. Uh, duh, cartridge empty. Also, Always, ALWAYS, turn the machine off and unplug. So many manufacturers have made lots of money because people don't unplug the machine. Just saying.

emagraphics

Ok, just tacking on something. And you may have done it and just not mentioned it. When ever a head is only firing half, check ink level physically. Not to sound stupid, but I have made that mistake. Uh, duh, cartridge empty. Also, Always, ALWAYS, turn the machine off and unplug. So many manufacturers have made lots of money because people don't unplug the machine. Just saying.

Not taken as stupid by all means. I know sometimes its the simple steps that get over looked. Yes both cartridges have ink and dampers are full - There was a degrade in print quality on the test patterns till there was no pattern once the board fried :( -- it was at the point I was inspecting the dampers and ribbon cables when I fudged -- Im really hoping this doesnt cost me a fortune but I chalk it to this: with every failure there is a solution - learn from it and move on... nothing I can do about it now lol

Karen-Kang

Thank you guys for your input - Desert Signs Im not dicking around with the fuses - I took your advice and contacted Mac Media... Its funny you had mentioned that company as I found them online last night but wasnt too sure about sending the part. Ive seen a few people mention them so I went ahead and used them.

Karen-Kang thank you too - I did in fact check the dampers, cap tops and ribbons for the head issue -- It was my dumb *** for not unplugging the printer when plugging the ribbon cable back in!! such a rookie move and I kick myself cause Ive worked on Mimakis for a long time and that is the first thing I do (DAMN!!!) I got over zealous to fix the first problem. Im just hoping that none of the other heads are fried - I knew the black was on its way out (Cross fingers)

again I appreciate the input. I will put a shout out to mac media once the ordeal is done.

yes, do not worry, the situation most customers experienced, if the first time to to , it is better to find other engineer to help to do, and study , next time you can handle them. if the head fired, you can repair if you do not want to buy a new one.
exclude the headboard problem, cable problem, (damper,captop you already checked) one by one, finally is the printhead diagnose.
headboard problem can fire printhead 100%, before replace a new head, make sure the headboard is no problem.

Desert_Signs

I've used Mac Media (I pulled the same bonehead move you did :banghead:) and I was very satisfied with their service.