Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electro Luminecent Laptop wrap

Discussion in 'Portfolio Board' started by LindyM, Oct 22, 2010.

1. LindyM

LindyM Member

Apr 30, 2009
    A couple of years ago I had an idea and found a local DJ that would agree to try it out. Well it was a huge success and not I'm working closely with the EL company to improve the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The laptop wrap wrapped with Printed Avery 1005EZ, however the areas that the client wanted to glow were contour cut out. The super thin EL sheet was placed first. This is not a new idea by all means but I think the application sure is. The buzz about this among after this show was amazing.

Enjoy.

Tags:
  2. Jet Fast Printing

Jet Fast Printing Member

Sep 22, 2009
    How is it powered? USB?

3. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    Very cool. That is a great application for what he is using it for.

I would like to do something like that to my laptop. But with my logo on it. Where is a good place to get the EL sheet?

4. LindyM

LindyM Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Unfortunately the USB port doesn't offer sufficient power for the inverter. So as of now the EL sheet has a 3" pigtail connector sticking out of the wrap which connects to the small inverter then the 110v outlet.
    This is perfect for DJing application since they are always near a power source and typically only use the laptop for DJ.
    the R&D department told me USB can power a sheet 20/sq. inches or smaller but will still require the inverter box.

I went to a sign show in China in April where I met manufactures of these sheets but would require large quantities to be ordered. So I found these guys. http://electroluminescence-inc.com/

5. Brandon708

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    Anyway that you know if It can be tapped into the power of the laptop?

6. Brandon708

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
  7. LindyM

LindyM Member

Apr 30, 2009
    I seem to be having a hard time finding it on there site. can you provide a direct link?
    That DJ laptop looks like a replacement back cover that uses the backlit glow from the monitor

8. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    who's a good distributor of the sheets? I've been able to order El Wire for a while now, but haven't seen anyone except Asian companies at tradeshows offering the illuminated sheets.

9. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    I believe that you could run the wire into the laptop itself and solder it to the display power.

10. Brandon708

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    Right. Im sure they do the same thing but they cut into the plastic then paint. What I mean is that they must use the EL pads too. I saw that company a few months ago and wondered how they made it light up. Thats why I posted it.

11. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
  12. LindyM

LindyM Member

Apr 30, 2009
    They are not using an EL sheet, the logo lights up from the LCD screen back light as I mentioned in my other post. LCD screen is lit by a cold cathode tube.

13. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I have a client of mine that specializes in office flooring.They use this for emergency exit staircases(Directional guides on each stair and handrail) in case of Electrical shutdown in an emergency.
    Great idea I thought!

14. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    EL only lights up when under power, how would having EL lit directionals for power-off emergency make any sense?

15. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008
    A lot of places have a generator for emergency power!

Good job on the laptop...looks awesome!