• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Electro Luminecent Laptop wrap

LindyM

A couple of years ago I had an idea and found a local DJ that would agree to try it out. Well it was a huge success and not I'm working closely with the EL company to improve the idea.

60239_501322818857_599498857_7302062_4102663_n.jpg

60344_501322313857_599498857_7302043_6220534_n.jpg

The laptop wrap wrapped with Printed Avery 1005EZ, however the areas that the client wanted to glow were contour cut out. The super thin EL sheet was placed first. This is not a new idea by all means but I think the application sure is. The buzz about this among after this show was amazing.

Enjoy.

Brandon708

Very cool. That is a great application for what he is using it for.

I would like to do something like that to my laptop. But with my logo on it. Where is a good place to get the EL sheet?

LindyM

How is it powered? USB?
Unfortunately the USB port doesn't offer sufficient power for the inverter. So as of now the EL sheet has a 3" pigtail connector sticking out of the wrap which connects to the small inverter then the 110v outlet.
This is perfect for DJing application since they are always near a power source and typically only use the laptop for DJ.
the R&D department told me USB can power a sheet 20/sq. inches or smaller but will still require the inverter box.

Very cool. That is a great application for what he is using it for.

I would like to do something like that to my laptop. But with my logo on it. Where is a good place to get the EL sheet?

I went to a sign show in China in April where I met manufactures of these sheets but would require large quantities to be ordered. So I found these guys. http://electroluminescence-inc.com/

LindyM

I seem to be having a hard time finding it on there site. can you provide a direct link?
That DJ laptop looks like a replacement back cover that uses the backlit glow from the monitor

MikePro

who's a good distributor of the sheets? I've been able to order El Wire for a while now, but haven't seen anyone except Asian companies at tradeshows offering the illuminated sheets.

Brandon708

I seem to be having a hard time finding it on there site. can you provide a direct link?
That DJ laptop looks like a replacement back cover that uses the backlit glow from the monitor

Right. Im sure they do the same thing but they cut into the plastic then paint. What I mean is that they must use the EL pads too. I saw that company a few months ago and wondered how they made it light up. Thats why I posted it.

LindyM

Right. Im sure they do the same thing but they cut into the plastic then paint. What I mean is that they must use the EL pads too. I saw that company a few months ago and wondered how they made it light up. Thats why I posted it.
They are not using an EL sheet, the logo lights up from the LCD screen back light as I mentioned in my other post. LCD screen is lit by a cold cathode tube.

fmg

I have a client of mine that specializes in office flooring.They use this for emergency exit staircases(Directional guides on each stair and handrail) in case of Electrical shutdown in an emergency.
Great idea I thought!

signswi

I have a client of mine that specializes in office flooring.They use this for emergency exit staircases(Directional guides on each stair and handrail) in case of Electrical shutdown in an emergency.
Great idea I thought!

EL only lights up when under power, how would having EL lit directionals for power-off emergency make any sense?