Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Electro Pounce

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by RiXaX, Sep 16, 2018.

1. RiXaX

RiXaX Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Mendocino, CA
    When I was an apprentice there were a couple shops I visited and did a few jobs in that had electric perforators they made with neon transformers and rheostats. Does anyone remember more exacting details of how this was done?

Tags:
  2. Kottwitz-Graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics Very Active Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    I don't remember a rheostat, but I do remember it was a sheet of sheet metal mounted on a frame. One of the transformer homeruns is mounted to the sheet, and the other is wired into an hand held plastic "pen" with a pointed metal end. The pattern was held on with magnets and you would use wooden rulers to make the straight lines. It more or less burned small holes in the paper...

Out of curiosity, why the interest in an old pounce machine? You can still get pounce wheels. I even have a couple in a tool box somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I don't remember seeing any homemade ones, just the commercially available ones. Always hated them, but they were efficient for doing large patterns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

We used a commercially made one. Worked way better than a wheel, but it sure was fun when you accidentally leaned against the metal backer...

• Like Like x 1
  5. studio 440

studio 440 Member

Jul 19, 2010
    cali
    FMS electro pounce was the name they made a senior and junior model . I still use mine they are hard to find now and sell for around 600 $ used but you can still get them new for 950$

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    We had one years ago and I remember the shocks when you leaned on the metal table, ouch.

7. Cross Signs

Cross Signs Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clearwater FL
    I have worn the elastic metal watchbands for many years. But I forgot to take off my watch only one time!

8. RiXaX

RiXaX Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Mendocino, CA
    I bought the Electro Pounce in 1970 and still use it regularly. A young man I met wants to build one and I was remembering the one's from my early years when shops made their own.
    I don't remember if it was done with a neon transformer or a fluorescent ballast, just remember it came off an old sign. I also remember the dial that gave far better variety in hole size
    than I have with the dial on my store bought model. I liked the small holes for gold patterns and the big holes for walls.