• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Embarrassing moments in your shop?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I embarassed myself and got into trouble at the first sign shop I trained in. The owner (whom we'll call Malcom - because that was his name) was married to a redhead who was WAY better looking of a woman than Malcolm should have been able to snag. Malcolm liked to flash his money around and we all knew his wife was a golddigger. She was very stuck on herself and liked for Malcolm to take her out to the bars for all the guys to ogle her. Malcolm was a big guy, about 6'-2" and around 300 lbs. He got into lots of fights over guys looking at his woman. His wife came into the shop one day, walked about halfway through it, then turned and walked back out for some reason. I turned to the signpainter next to me and began to loudly sing "I can't stop lovin' ME" (to the tune of Ray Charles "I Can't Stop Lovin' You"). From the lack of response of the other signpainter and look on his face, I knew something was wrong. Sure enough, I turned back around and saw Malcolm standing at the other end of the shop. He said "Arlo, what the hell were you doing that for?". I got assigned to clean the shop from top to bottom every week for the next month.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Okay, I finally remembered one, walked in on the boss taking a crap. Normal social protocol is to never mention it, no contact for a day or so...being slightly off the norm, after he exited I told him he needed to fire me, he asked why, I answered 'because that image was permanently burned into my brain'... he did not fire me but got a good laugh out of it... it was even more hilarious when I made an amusing "LOCK THIS DOOR - the embar-ass-ment you save, may be your own" sign.

now that I mentioned it, I can see him now.

Pat Whatley

had to fire another employee for urinating in the sink in the shop instead of going to the restroom that was about 20' away...

I worked with a guy who urinated in the sink in the bathroom. He had this habit of "dripping" a little on the floor in front of the toilet and the women in the store would raise hell with him (shared bathroom). To stop the problem using the sink made more sense than just wiping the floor.