• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Embroidery software

phototec

I'm just getting into embroidery and looking for software so I can create my own digitized dst files. I see the software run the full spectrum from $99 to $3000 plus.

Looking to spend up to $500, does anyone have experience with digitizing software in this price range and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any and all info that will help me make the right decision.

WildWestDesigns

$500 is consumer level software and with the ability to digitize as such.

Top of the line commercial without playing the trade up/trade in game runs $15k

$3k is your entry level commercial grade.

Roughly mind you and not playing any trade up/trade in game.

Personally even an entry level Wilcom version (this company is the gold standard in digitizing software) would be better then getting a home version. If you are able to think outside of the box, capable of doing more then one would think as well, but it won't be automated, like blends etc.

I've been involved with an open source extension for Inkscape that does some really great things, but it still has some work to equal to those $3k on up as far as options go. But it certainly does better then a lot of consumer grade software out there. It's getting there, just takes time.

It would really help to know what you are wanting to do as to if $500 is going to be feasible. Beyond just creating DST files in of itself, how much ability do you want etc?

Last edited:
Digitizing softwares are waaaay overpriced. I don't mind paying for something good, but they are all rubbish and poorly made. Just buy a cracked Tajima 14 if you need something half decent for $100. Once again I'm happy paying a small monthly fee for PS and illustrator, but paying $10.000 for a f.cked up software is just ridiculous.

WildWestDesigns

Digitizing softwares are waaaay overpriced. I don't mind paying for something good, but they are all rubbish and poorly made. Just buy a cracked Tajima 14 if you need something half decent for $100. Once again I'm happy paying a small monthly fee for PS and illustrator, but paying $10.000 for a f.cked up software is just ridiculous.

This is wrong on so many levels (I do agree that pricing is out of sight, but I still wouldn't advocate stealing, especially stealing something it is "rubbish and poorly made", but maybe my morals out of whack compared to others), but I'll leave the theft aspect to it as it is.

I would love to see what people come up with that think other's software are poorly made. Come up with a better solution instead of bitching about it. Having worked on an alternative for embroidery digitizing, I can tell you, it ain't easy.

It's a totally different pricing schema for digitizing software that's for sure (which is why I'm working with a project for an open source variant, something that people don't have to steal, but if you prefer stealing, have at it; this software isn't as easy as one would think), but your also getting into a very niche world.

Last edited:

timgo

Graphics Designer
I'm just getting into embroidery and looking for software so I can create my own digitized dst files. I see the software run the full spectrum from $99 to $3000 plus.

Looking to spend up to $500, does anyone have experience with digitizing software in this price range and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any and all info that will help me make the right decision.
Try this software:
https://www.wilcom.com/en-us/hatch/landingpage/trialall.aspx

WildWestDesigns

Timgo mentioned the entry level that I was thinking. That replaced DecoStudio line.

If you get the full version of Hatch, it's decently feature rich.

It's still geared to the Home/Hobbyist, but decently feature rich. The other option would be Creative DRAWings. If you are wanting to do this for a business, those would be my absolutely minimum baseline, for me. However, depending on exactly what you are wanting to do, they still may not have it, it all depends.

Last edited:

phototec

$500 is consumer level software and with the ability to digitize as such.

Top of the line commercial without playing the trade up/trade in game runs $15k

$3k is your entry level commercial grade.

Roughly mind you and not playing any trade up/trade in game.

Personally even an entry level Wilcom version (this company is the gold standard in digitizing software) would be better then getting a home version. If you are able to think outside of the box, capable of doing more then one would think as well, but it won't be automated, like blends etc.

I've been involved with an open source extension for Inkscape that does some really great things, but it still has some work to equal to those $3k on up as far as options go. But it certainly does better then a lot of consumer grade software out there. It's getting there, just takes time.

It would really help to know what you are wanting to do as to if $500 is going to be feasible. Beyond just creating DST files in of itself, how much ability do you want etc?

Ok, where and how can I get a copy of the open source extension for Inkscape that does some really great things to try it out?