• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Emerging from my Time Capsule: What are the substrates of choice these days?

kevin

Hello All!

This may sound like a silly question, but I've been out of the sign game since before coroplast became a thing (that stuff is vicious, by the way...was that invented by a sadist?). Back when I was helping out in my family sign business regularly, MDO was always the go-to substrate. But Dad says that ever since the hammer came down on lead-based enamels, the MDO boards are coated with a base that doesn't take today's enamels very well. I've seen variations on coroplast (aluminum faced, etc), as well as a bunch of other synthetics (like sintra)...what is the go-to substrate of choice for durability these days?

Bonus question: A-Frames. The Signicade seems to be a handy product, until I tried to adhere vinyl to one. Their website suggest curing it with a torch (?!) in order to get vinyl to take. Are there any other efficient A-frame products out there, or is the preference to just build your own?

I apologize if these sound basic, but Dad's been busy with his other business, and has been sort of out of the loop on current trends for a while, anyway.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1. Depends on the application.

2. Don't buy plastic 'A' Frames. They're junk. Get or build a frame and put your own face on it.

Lane J

We do a lot of signs based on MDO or Dibond (ACM) for durable outdoor signs. Foamcore, acrylic and Sintra for indoor. Coroplast for short-term outdoor use.
It does really depend on the application. Ditto on the plastic A frames being junk. We make ours out of MDO or buy the snap-frame type.

Joe House

Hey Kevin,

We still sell some MDO - already coated with white enamel btw. But not many are painting the backgrounds. More often their getting a print slapped on or sometimes just vinyl letters on the prefinished face. The most common by far now is aluminum composite boards with the solid core (not corrugated core) if you're looking for a durable product. No need to treat the edges for durability (if you're okay with the esthetics).

And we sell far more Signicades that take a panel than the ones that you directly put vinyl onto. (Bonus feature here is that you get to work with more of that vicious coroplast - ha!)

Billct2

LOTS of new substrates to learn about. Choice depends on how it will be used.
Aluminum composite panel is a large part of our outdoor projects.
PVC for inside.
Coro for cheap jobs.
HDU (and some PVC) for dimensional
And old standbys like aluminum in .040-.080 and thicker and yes MDO still get used.
As for signcades, yes you can flame treat them to apply vinyl directly to them, it's quick and easy.
Or you can screw a panel over them, or use wellnuts and bolts.
But we use a lot of the slide in version too.
We sell lots of plastic aframes.
We also make some custom one, but most just want the cheaper option.
Good luck.

bannertime

Just a comment on the a-frames. We sell more Signcades than metal framed signs. But we stick to the Deluxe and the "Signcade II". Please don't use the ones that have you to flame treat. I hate when customers bring those in to get relettered. Only the ones that you can slide 2'x3' or 22"x28" coroplast signs into it. I think there are smaller ones, but those are the two main ones. Then sell the customer "program signs" to change out the sign faces every month or so.

We've only had one come back and it was left out in a really bad storm. Snapped in half, but was still functional.