• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employee Morale

spooledUP7

So paying and expecting the job well done is not enough these days. You also have to keep kissing *** elaborately. I’m so sick n tired of this bs
I feel what you're saying. There's an art to having employees appreciate their job without giving them the farm, and way back in the day that was as easy as providing a job when there were not enough jobs. The bs is when it's implied by society that it is acceptable and standard practice to reward the undeserving. On the flip side of the coin, employees who deserve appreciation really do deserve appreciation, and I think that's the message here in this thread. How one get's there is open for debate.

DerbyCitySignGuy

A lot of people seem to think it's still the 1950s. If you don't care about employee morale, you're not only a crappy boss, but you're also a [donkey]. Plain and simple.

The days of "suck it up and take your medicine" are gone. People are more aware of the value of their labor and they're aware that they aren't being compensated fairly. The wage growth has been stagnant, while the cost of living has increased exponentially. A house was roughly double your annual income in the 50s, a car was about 2/5 of your annual income. Now a house is around FOUR times your annual income and a car is about half.

It takes very little effort to do minor things to keep employees happy and motivated. Bringing them donuts once a week is a drop in the bucket. If you can't afford to pay a living wage, at least try not to be a raging jackhole.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Y'all can argue it anyway you want. It all boils down to......

Some who are not paid what they are worth.... ought to be glad !!

There are all kinds of little incentives, but to boost a morale..... by throwing crumbs at them........c'mon, get serious and get to work. :covereyes:
When I was an employee, rather than have someone buy me pizza or give me a slap on the back..... just put it in my paycheck and we'll all be good.​

So paying and expecting the job well done is not enough these days. You also have to keep kissing *** elaborately. I’m so sick n tired of this bs
You can be sick of it all you want but that's the beauty of free trade. As a worker, I can CHOOSE to go work for someone who DOES give some awesome perks to their employees. You don't have to do anything for your workers...and your workers don't have to stay working for you. Beats communism any day. When you go over and above for your employees, they'll do the same for you

A lot of people seem to think it's still the 1950s. If you don't care about employee morale, you're not only a crappy boss, but you're also a [donkey]. Plain and simple.

The days of "suck it up and take your medicine" are gone. People are more aware of the value of their labor and they're aware that they aren't being compensated fairly. The wage growth has been stagnant, while the cost of living has increased exponentially. A house was roughly double your annual income in the 50s, a car was about 2/5 of your annual income. Now a house is around FOUR times your annual income and a car is about half.

It takes very little effort to do minor things to keep employees happy and motivated. Bringing them donuts once a week is a drop in the bucket. If you can't afford to pay a living wage, at least try not to be a raging jackhole.
Exactly!

You can be sick of it all you want but that's the beauty of free trade. As a worker, I can CHOOSE to go work for someone who DOES give some awesome perks to their employees. You don't have to do anything for your workers...and your workers don't have to stay working for you. Beats communism any day. When you go over and above for your employees, they'll do the same for you

You're funny :) I can't decide if your an employer and an employee, but I'd really love to learn from you if your an employer and your workers 'work' that way. Man, you gotta be one lucky son of a nice woman.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Y'all can argue it anyway you want. It all boils down to......

Some who are not paid what they are worth.... ought to be glad !!

There are all kinds of little incentives, but to boost a morale..... by throwing crumbs at them........c'mon, get serious and get to work. :covereyes:
When I was an employee, rather than have someone buy me pizza or give me a slap on the back..... just put it in my paycheck and we'll all be good.​

That's fine, but the work force is changing. Younger folks these days are aware that they're not getting a fair shake. Baby boomers have trashed the economy, ruined the distribution of wealth, and are currently digging the hole even deeper before they finally check out.

The baby boomer generation is waning and things are going to drastically change in the next few years. Once that generation is retired and gone, things are going to be radically different and if you're still in the game you'll have to adapt. It'll be sink or swim time. Xennials have been pretty easy to deal with, they're adaptable and go with the flow, probably because of the rapid change in lifestyle and technology while they were growing up, but Millennials are going to throw a wrench in the works. I have a lot of faith that once they're running the show, things are going to get better.

Despite what the media would have you believe, most of the Millennials I've worked with are smart, driven, and have great work ethics.

Johnny Best

Profit sharing with employees. When they screw something up just calmly tell them they cut into their profit sharing.
My wife is my Employer and she uses Bubba's approach.

echeverrit

we do "music breaks" - when we can and workload allows. taking 15 min at end of day, i have everyone gather together to either listen to a randomly drawn song that I had the employees write down earlier - or - i pick one popular song like Blue Suede Shoes and then have a playlist of all the different renditions of that one song....

it's all about getting employees together to interact with one another over anything but work related things!

music seems to be a great way to lighten the mood and start conversations among those who might not normally work together in the shop during the day.

i also like spontaneous, unexpected things - like putting on a bunny head costume and passing out candy in the shop - they didn't even know it was me at first! :)

DerbyCitySignGuy

Profit sharing with employees. When they screw something up just calmly tell them they cut into their profit sharing.
My wife is my Employer and she uses Bubba's approach.

Profit sharing does actually work when you have employees who feel invested in the company. Of course, there are always employees who don't give two turds and nothing will motivate them.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I'd also like to point out that you have to have something tangible to reward employees. A paycheck is not a reward. That's a payment for services rendered. Bonuses are rewards. Unexpected PTO is a reward. Lunches are a reward. A get together or a party during work hours is a reward. Conversely, mandatory work outings are NOT a reward for some employees. Don't ever force an employee to use their free time to attend a "fun" event. That'll backfire big time.

Ifs and whens are not morale boosters. If you keep promising employees things and never delivering, you're going to end up with angry employees.

equippaint

That's fine, but the work force is changing. Younger folks these days are aware that they're not getting a fair shake. Baby boomers have trashed the economy, ruined the distribution of wealth, and are currently digging the hole even deeper before they finally check out.

The baby boomer generation is waning and things are going to drastically change in the next few years. Once that generation is retired and gone, things are going to be radically different and if you're still in the game you'll have to adapt. It'll be sink or swim time. Xennials have been pretty easy to deal with, they're adaptable and go with the flow, probably because of the rapid change in lifestyle and technology while they were growing up, but Millennials are going to throw a wrench in the works. I have a lot of faith that once they're running the show, things are going to get better.

Despite what the media would have you believe, most of the Millennials I've worked with are smart, driven, and have great work ethics.
I agree with this but the thing missing is that many small business owners are treading water just the same as their employees and the rest are making a living but are not knocking it out of the park. There is no doubt that there is a major fleecing going on and workers are collateral damage. It's not coming from small business owners. Heck, many large companies don't give small business a fair shake either. We lost our 2nd largest customer to a big buyout and we will now be lucky to get crumbs if anything at all.
As far as the entitled attitudes, it's an age thing not generational. Throughout time most teens and early 20s have an inflated view of their worth and some never grow out of it.