• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employee Situation

Andy D

What's the best way to make money on a side gig? Do what you know - i.e. something in wide format printing & installing.
I would try and find a niche market / product that your employer doesn't provide, so no one can object.
For exsample, I know a guy that only does water towers, I know of another guy that only provides paint mask for gym floors, and does quite well.
Keep it as simple / cut-and-dry as you can.

T_K

I would try and find a niche market / product that your employer doesn't provide, so no one can object.
For exsample, I know a guy that only does water towers, I know of another guy that only provides paint mask for gym floors, and does quite well.
Keep it as simple / cut-and-dry as you can.

That's pretty much what I had in mind. I don't want to be put in the awkward position of appearing to be stealing business. But right now we don't have a "public" face to the print department. I'm nested inside a marketing company, so we're pretty much just doing labels, signage, etc., for our existing customers. But they're also talking about opening the printing up as a traditional storefront as well.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Coming from an employee who's looking to make some extra money on the side, I've got mixed feelings on this issue. On one hand, I've got a good income from my current company for the work I do. Although it's not enough to get me where I want to be financially, it's pretty close. I don't really have any reason to bail on this job to find another one. But on the other hand, I'm still looking to make more money. What's the best way to make money on a side gig? Do what you know - i.e. something in wide format printing & installing.

It's kind of complicated though. I don't want to jeopardize my current job, but this industry is my best bet on making more money. I do not feel ok with directly competing with my company, as I feel that would be dishonest. Soliciting clients to turn down all or part of our services so that I can do them independently is just wrong. Allowing customers to solicit my services outside of the company after they turned down the company's offer also seems dishonest. I didn't chase them down, but they're trying to undercut the industry - which also includes paying me less. But if I rummage up my own business, that's a different matter - so long as it's not negatively impacting my first job.

I've also thought about looking for a part time job with another company in the general print industry, like a wrap company. There are a number of different companies in our area who have more specialized fields, and would not be in direct competition with my current company. The bigger issue here is work hours. Most of them are open at the same times as my current job, so that's a bit tricky.

Anyway, I understand that this can be a complicated issue on both sides, and there are ethical tension points. But I agree that if he's not stealing business from the company and he's keeping up with his work, then I don't see the problem until it actually shows up.

Actually, if they already turned down the company you work for...then solicit you...you haven't undercut anybody. There is a price they are willing to pay..and the company you work for has way more overhead than you do. So what that company may charge for something that you do on their watch...will naturally cost more than what you alone would charge.
As for them undercutting the industry...there's no such thing. There's folks who will do it cheaper and make less, leaving money on the table...and there's folks that will pay more for a professional, trustworthy outfit with a track record to do it. One has more risk than the other. But there is no such thing as an industry set price...only what people are willing to pay for a product/service. And if you doubt that, even though prices on things generally rise with inflation, we're not able to charge what we used to for digital printing because the technology (large format printers) like all other tech products...once competing with eachother...brings their prices down and BAM! There are 10 large format printers in a city rather than 2. So what happens, the customer now has choices and we have to "compete" for their business. As a consumer, you make those same type of choices all the time.
You just don't like it when you have to make less money in order to get the work...but that's capitalism...at it's finest.

Marlene

how did you know he was offered this side job? did he tell you? if so, I wouldn't worry too much as he sounds up front and honest. the next question is will they offer him more money to quit and become their full time employee.

ams

This is a conflict which I was hurt by in the past. Your guy will give out your trade secrets. Even if he is a trusted guy and loyal, they begin with asking questions like "So how do you put this vinyl on?", and "What kind of vinyl is that?". Before long they know more than they need to know.

Marlene

This is a conflict which I was hurt by in the past. Your guy will give out your trade secrets. Even if he is a trusted guy and loyal, they begin with asking questions like "So how do you put this vinyl on?", and "What kind of vinyl is that?". Before long they know more than they need to know.

a quick trip to youtube for any of that info as all of those "trade secrets" are all there

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Bottom line: if this company is an existing customer of yours, it IS an issue. If you have never sold a thing to them, then I don't see an issue. Also I don't think it was mentioned how this company contacted your employee.....if it was through YOU, then there is a conflict of interest, ONLY if, again, they are an existing customer. I do freelance design work now and then, and none of it has a thing to do with my employer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and think you were serious. Trade sectrets, how to and what kinda questions....... is all that is asked in this place and everyone rushes to be first to answer. Right now, we know it is happening in Hillsboro, Tx, but how long before this potential competitor will be here and you'll answer the same thing this employee is about to answer ?? Are you giving away 'Trade Secrets' ?? For that matter, isn't everyone giving away trade secrets ?? Especially with all the hobbyists, end-users and whoever else is looking in at any given time ??

Do people even think before the write down an answer........ ?? :banghead:

mark galoob

ive had this happen to me before also. great employee that got "recruited" by someone who could pay more...

you cant stop your employee from going to another job. just like your employee cant stop you from hiring someone else to take some of his hours.

ams

a quick trip to youtube for any of that info as all of those "trade secrets" are all there

Actually most youtube videos are horrible and by newbies that don't know anything. Ever seen Sign Chef? A pile of crap. Spray water on the vinyl, spray on the glass, squeegee, spray water on the transfer tape again, peel off, spray the vinyl to clean it, your done.

hotflyers

Ive read all of these and have somewhat of a similar situation. What are your thoughts?

Employee A comes to work at my shop and helps me develop wide format printing and brings business with him. One of the accounts he brings with him now has their own flatbed machine but no roll to roll (they got it used at an auction). They're doing small jobs and I have noticed a decrease in their volume but not much. That being said, Employee A comes to me and said "Customer B owner has offered to help me get a car if I can come up and work some evenings and weekends running their machine".

My immediate response was that's a conflict of interest and I wouldnt allow it. Employee A then just dropped it and it hasnt come up since.

If Employee A comes to work with a car (hes been struggling) then I will be able to surmise how he got it.

What should I do here?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Ive read all of these and have somewhat of a similar situation. What are your thoughts?

Employee A comes to work at my shop and helps me develop wide format printing and brings business with him. One of the accounts he brings with him now has their own flatbed machine but no roll to roll (they got it used at an auction). They're doing small jobs and I have noticed a decrease in their volume but not much. That being said, Employee A comes to me and said "Customer B owner has offered to help me get a car if I can come up and work some evenings and weekends running their machine".

My immediate response was that's a conflict of interest and I wouldnt allow it. Employee A then just dropped it and it hasnt come up since.

If Employee A comes to work with a car (hes been struggling) then I will be able to surmise how he got it.

What should I do here?

If he hasn't signed any kind of non-compete with you, I don't see an issue with him working a second job. Some people need the extra income. Having said that, I see the delicate situation of him working for an existing customer. If you honestly feel his working there is taking away work from your business, then I'd tell him he can't continue working for you. If this Employee is a valuable one, and is struggling, maybe pay him more, if he's not already at the cap you would pay someone of his caliber?

ikarasu

Really? hmm.....

That all depends. Is he a good employee? I mean... he came to you and talked to you about it, so it's not like he was trying to hide it.

Sounds like you already lost this customers business due to the flatbed they bought. If they don't hire this guy, they'll probably hire someone else... so either way, youre not gaining / losing anything either way.

If I were in the situation (I'm not an owner...) If a company wanted me to work weekends with them, I would.. but NOT if they were a previous customer of the company I currently work at. I probably wouldn't even mention it to my boss, because it's not his concern what I do on off hours...

The tricky part here, is that this place was your customer before. Now I get where your coming from with saying no. But if your employee is struggling, and it's a one time thing... why not let him make ends meet? Or meet him halfway.... give him a little raise so he doesn't NEED to work 2 jobs. even $1 an hour is enough to buy a used car / maintain it. If you appreciate your employee (Based on what I know, he seems like a good one, letting you know about the situation), then it's worth it to keep him around.

I see what my company charges for most of the vinyl installs, and stuff I print. And I think to myself how I can do it for half the price, and make a killing. I'm sure I could steal some customers, as most of them know me by my installations... but I never would. I actually thought about buying a wide format printer, and getting into car wraps. Use what I know from this company, and start my own side business which doesn't compete with them. Maybe offer that to your employee.

But it sounds like this customer was your employees customer before he started working for you. They probably have a good relationship / want to work with eachother. Weight in the benefits of keeping your employee happy, and losing the customers bussiness, which it sounds like you already lost most of it. Heck, maybe the customer decides to offer him a fulltime job for more money, then what?

Remember...employees arent your personal property to boss around. They're humans too - If it's not too big of a deal for you, let it be. If it's something you find unacceptable, then let him know. He's not doing anything wrong, just let him know if he works there, your not comfortable with him still working for you, and it'd be no hard feelings.

hotflyers

If he hasn't signed any kind of non-compete with you, I don't see an issue with him working a second job. Some people need the extra income. Having said that, I see the delicate situation of him working for an existing customer. If you honestly feel his working there is taking away work from your business, then I'd tell him he can't continue working for you. If this Employee is a valuable one, and is struggling, maybe pay him more, if he's not already at the cap you would pay someone of his caliber?

Thanks!

He is definitely worth a tremendous amount more just the company cant bare it right now. Him not having a vehicle is a problem sometimes but he manages to be on time. His working there would be after we are closed and on the weekends so, it wouldnt interfere. I am just not sure I like the relationship, even though, he is the one who introduced this customer to us and he gets a small commission on work they do with us.

hotflyers

That all depends. Is he a good employee? I mean... he came to you and talked to you about it, so it's not like he was trying to hide it.

Sounds like you already lost this customers business due to the flatbed they bought. If they don't hire this guy, they'll probably hire someone else... so either way, youre not gaining / losing anything either way.

If I were in the situation (I'm not an owner...) If a company wanted me to work weekends with them, I would.. but NOT if they were a previous customer of the company I currently work at. I probably wouldn't even mention it to my boss, because it's not his concern what I do on off hours...

The tricky part here, is that this place was your customer before. Now I get where your coming from with saying no. But if your employee is struggling, and it's a one time thing... why not let him make ends meet? Or meet him halfway.... give him a little raise so he doesn't NEED to work 2 jobs. even $1 an hour is enough to buy a used car / maintain it. If you appreciate your employee (Based on what I know, he seems like a good one, letting you know about the situation), then it's worth it to keep him around.

I see what my company charges for most of the vinyl installs, and stuff I print. And I think to myself how I can do it for half the price, and make a killing. I'm sure I could steal some customers, as most of them know me by my installations... but I never would. I actually thought about buying a wide format printer, and getting into car wraps. Use what I know from this company, and start my own side business which doesn't compete with them. Maybe offer that to your employee.

But it sounds like this customer was your employees customer before he started working for you. They probably have a good relationship / want to work with eachother. Weight in the benefits of keeping your employee happy, and losing the customers bussiness, which it sounds like you already lost most of it. Heck, maybe the customer decides to offer him a fulltime job for more money, then what?

Remember...employees arent your personal property to boss around. They're humans too - If it's not too big of a deal for you, let it be. If it's something you find unacceptable, then let him know. He's not doing anything wrong, just let him know if he works there, your not comfortable with him still working for you, and it'd be no hard feelings.

This is all useful information, thanks.