• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employee Vacation Time

mike franklin

Does anyone let there employees use their vacation time to supplement hours not worked. For example if my guys were to come up short on hours do you allow them to use their vacation time to make up the hours.

Malkin

Yes, though we are small (4 people) and that only applies to 1 of them.

Pretty laid back, as long as the work gets done (on time).

ggsigns

If we are slow or between jobs and there's nothing to do I'll have the guys stay home a day or two and use their vacation time. I'm going to pay them the time one way or the other but this way the vacation time is used when the workload is light.

The Equipment Guy

If we are slow or between jobs and there's nothing to do I'll have the guys stay home a day or two and use their vacation time. I'm going to pay them the time one way or the other but this way the vacation time is used when the workload is light.

Careful with this...it can be illegal to do that in some areas. In many states and provinces the legal accrued vacation time cannot be mandated leave whereas any additional time you earn due to tenure or banked hours can become forced leave if the company needs it to be.

Craig

ggsigns

Careful with this...it can be illegal to do that in some areas. In many states and provinces the legal accrued vacation time cannot be mandated leave whereas any additional time you earn due to tenure or banked hours can become forced leave if the company needs it to be.

Craig

That's interesting, I could see that being an issue in some areas. I'm in a "right to work" state which means I employ " at will". Absent a contract I have no obligation to provide x number of hours of work or to provide paid vacation for that matter. If the guys want to save their accrued vacation time that's OK but then they stay home without pay.

I think there are some very distinct differences in some northern states and Canada compared to many southern states. We each probably wonder how the other guy copes. (I know I do)

ova

We always find somethng for our employees to do. It's written in their job description that they will be asked to work outside of their field.

This might mean clean windows, move shelves or racks and mop floors, maybe paint, and even work outside. We only have three employees. Two full time. They sort of get into the this stuff since it's a break from the norm. Never had a complaint so far. Seems like the two full timers are somewhat neat freaks, so they like a good clean shop.

What happens when your employees actually take a vacation? How do they get paid or do they just take the time off?

Dave

phototec

We always find somethng for our employees to do.

Back in the 70's, I worked for a company here in TX, and during the slow time of the year they would close the shop for two weeks without pay, the owner would always ask for volunteers to come in during the down time and do different maintenance type jobs. One year they wanted someone to re-stripe the parking lot, so that's what I did, I literally used masking tape to outline the old faint lines then with a 4" wide paint brush, re-painted the white parking strips, I took the whole week and I made a pay check for that week.