• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

employee vehicle wrap

modernmav

We are looking at wrapping an employee's vehicle with shop graphics, but I am curious if/how that would effect that persons auto insurance policy. Has anyone else already looked into this? Does it make it a work purposes vehicle and raise the rates through the roof?

Mosh

I know if it is a pickup and they tow anything they will have to get commercial plates and a DOT number. Any advertisment make that vehicle a commercial vehicle. This happened to one of my clients. His employees lettered up their truck and was pulling a boat. Got a big fine for not having commercial plates and DOT numbers.

chopper

this may vary from state to state, I have an F450 and I need to have dot number, and inspection, and a class A when I pull my trailer since the weight rating is over 26,000 in combination, but as far as the lettering goes just becouse it is lettered does not make it a comercial vehicle, I see trucks all the time with fishing this and that and racing this and that on their trucks this does not make them commercial, unless you are paying them to do this, look up the dot law's in your state, (highway patrol) look up their web site it will be explained there if you do not see what you are looking for call them, new laws are added all the time and old ones change frequently..
//chopper

Craig Sjoquist

Wrap a vehicle with your shop .. name and phone or address ..it's used for business about 30%to 40% more on rate

Now if you do a good job, your bennifit can be about when you stop,... within a hour somebody ask's a related question.

steelskinz

you know this is funny....I just had to get my truck(which is fully wrapped) towed from my driveway because of electrical problems. The guy pulls up and says " im sorry, but your policy does not cover a commercial vehicle." I said "huh?" He said "Ill tow it this one time but just for future reference this is considered a commercial vehicle if it has your company name and phone number on it." I then replied "What if i had two 3"x8" bumper stickers on the sides with my company name and phone number on it, would it still be considered a commercial vehicle?? All this is is a big bumper sticker." He starred at me for a second and then walked away.:Big Laugh

I dont understand how if it is my own personal vehicle that doesn't transport anything for my company except me, could be considered a commercial vehicle.

MachServTech

Attachments

• 051101_dvd_Yoda_Ex.jpg
    051101_dvd_Yoda_Ex.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 87

WB

As far as I know it doesn't matter whats on your vehicle it depends on how you use it.. I guess that can be agured many different ways.. If all this person does is drive from home to work and back again then it's a personal vehicle. Only other thing to keep in mind is that this person will be driving around 24/7 in your billboard. Anything that happens to that car happens to your business..

Signguyno1

In many states if it's lettered for a business, truck or passenger vehicle, it must be registered commercial.

Commercial ads on vehicles will be towed and charged as non registered properly, cited, towed, fined, towing charges and impound! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jon Aston

Speak to your lawyer, as well. Have them draft an agreement to execute with the employee. You don't want to wind up being liable for something unforeseen.

jiarby

wait until he gets drunk some Saturday night and kills someone's kid in a DWI accident. You're gonna get sued for sure.

BrianKE

I would have them contact their auto insurance provider directly with this question.
Love....Jill

+1 to this. I know when I asked my insurance guy about putting my company name on my personal vehicle it changed the rates dramatically, no matter how big or small the sign was. This applies to magnets as well.

Brian