• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Enclosed trailer wrap?

landdesigns

I'm doing a enclosed trailer wrap in the near future that has the removable square headed screws, is it better to remove the screws then apply wrap or apply wrap right over the screws?

thanks
Todd

kstompaint

We've done them both ways. The install is definitely easier with the screws out and you can use a lesser material. If the trailer is not brand new, you WILL have problems getting the screws out. I also think that a million silver dots interrupts most designs pretty badly. Having done it both ways, I'd probably just wrap over 'em.

mgieske

With experience, you'll find yourself spending more time removing them. Also, unless having a grid of silver dots is included in your design, it will look better when they're covered.
I've also seen rust streaks running down wrapped trailers when they were removed & replaced.

kstompaint

This is a project that we have coming up next month. It's for a custom car shop owned by a friend of mine who is working on my 65 Riviera GS. No screws or rivets on this one, just one row of those big ass plugs.

Attachments

• RPM RIG.jpg
    RPM RIG.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 87

dolce05

you HAVE to REMOVE them. They are screws and NOT rivets. The angle of the SCREW is not the same as a rivet which makes them harder to wrap (still dueable if you want to) and the "hole" where you put your tool to remove it will enventually crack and peel, and you will have failure all over the trailer. Though its a very small hole the vinyl is still tented over it and gets dry and will crack.

We remove them ALL the time...it goes quicker then you think. (see attached pic)

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 102

BALLPARK

If you create a 1.5" bridge over the rivets and use a Rolle Pro...no worries.

Softly apply the graphic on each side of the row of rivets. Then after you have closed off both sides of the rivets. You should have a 1.5" - 2" bridge over the row of rivets.

Then heat to 180 degrees. It will take any wrinkle out of it, then quickly apply heavy pressure and use the Rolle Pro. Once you get the hang of the temp, you can start to increase the number of rivets that you do from 1-2, 2-3, etc...

The key is the bridge, HEAT and use FIRM PRESSURE. The rivet will not only have no wrinkles, but will also be sealed in and not cause you to spend extra hours going over them again with other tools. You will still want to use a heat gun to go over any rivet or contour after the wrap is done.

I have removed them and had no issues. The wrap will take half the time, but then you have some rivets blocking some artwork.

Hope that helps...