• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder Blues

MadGraphixINC

So, my sp300 has been doing some strange things lately. While printing it will start "walking" to the right. It will sometimes stop mid print with the error message "Carriedge Disconnect". I hear these are classic signs of a bad encoder strip, but im also getting "Error 0105" which im told is a carriedge motor problem... My question is this: Can a faulty encoder strip cause problems with the head and carriedge motors? Or is my motor really burning out?:covereyes::covereyes: HELP!!!

Ragnabrok

a small array of posibilities here. usually a carriage disconnect is from really loose cable tension. A service call 0105 points to the heads failing to disconnect when they should (for cutting or cleaning or sheet sets). the print walking is from the encoder strip and or the encoder reader.

If cleaning the encoder strip with isopropyl 99% doesn't do it. cleaning the encoder reader could help as well. the encoder reader is behind the print carriage, on the right end. it's held on by one screw, but the cable that powers it is quite short, and doesn't need to be disconnected. just pull it out enough to "credit card" it with a folded alcohol soaked shop cloth or the like. make sure the power is off, not a bad idea to disconnect the power cord to be sure.

as for the 0105 a limit initialize usually takes care of that after a cable tension adjustment. If you have a nice tech they may walk it over the phone with you, it's not hard to do. same idea for cable tension, although there is a tension meter, it does have an acceptable range of tightness.

hope this helps!

MadGraphixINC

Okay, so at the suggestion of my nearest technician($800worth travel time-no thanks) Ive ordered a cut/carriedge cable. He said that a faulty cable could cause all of the symptoms by misinforming other components. Since its the least expensive case, im gonna try that first. Hopefully this works:help:guido:

Ragnabrok

Hrm... unlikely.cut carriage cable carries the signal from the main board to the cut tool. this includes only the following. Proximity sensor for sheet width, optical sensor for crop marks, and power for the cut solenoid. Since you have none of these affected, not sure why your tech would point you that way.

Most definitely the encoder strip.
As Ragnabrok suggested... use isopropyl on a swab and lightly scrub both sides of the strip. Make sure you get the area above the capping station as well. Then let it dry for a few minutes.
Wouldn't hurt to do an environmental match as well.

Be aware that after awhile the cleanings may not help as the encoder strip will be worn. At this point you'll have to replace the strip.

GSGservice

It's the encoder strip not cutter cable and guides. Clean it with 70% isopropyl alcohol. You may have to remove the encoder sensor and clean it as well. After all of this is done don't forget to run env. match. You could also flip the encoder strip and use the bottom side of it.