• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

encoder problem?

briant1362

Trying to troubleshoot the yellow offset prints in the attached pic. Top print is find and is printed at medium head height. Bottom print is printed at low head height. HH is the only difference between the prints. Thinking this is an encoder issue, I took out and reversed the encoder strip but still seeing the problem. Checked test prints and calibrated...nothing jumps out as being out of whack. Encoder or something else?

Some more info...if I clip width of the print and isolate just Mario, I do not see the yellow offsets (even if I move the clipped image to the same position on the media as the full print).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0347[1].jpg
    IMG_0347[1].jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 74

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Static build up can cause overspray like that. Our Roland does that on the magenta head in the winter when printing banners.

When our enconder strip went bad the image was unrecognizable and the image would shift from the left to right side.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What speed are you traveling with that head ??

Looks like you might be going to fast for low head height and creating some overspray.

Definitely not encoder problems.

artbot

don't think that can be encoder. the encoder will give you a universal effect. i'd do a data swap and see if you can bump the issue to a different head for isolation.

aa

briant1362

Gino - head speed is at the default 520mm/sec for high quality MCVP
Artbot - what's a data swap and is relatively easy to do?

Some more data points...
1) no problems at standard quality, only high quality.
2) i made the problem worse by "re-scanning" the encoder strip in the service menu while at low HH. (yeah...I'm throwing the kitchen sink at it)

yeah, don't think its an encoder strip problem either..... do you just have problems printing with this file on that media or other files etc?

artbot

essentially the data swap is rearranging the ribbon cables (safely) so that a particular channels data is sent to a different head. much like crossing your legs and putting your right foot in your left shoe and vice versa.

keep in mind when the data is ported to a different head, that data's y position will be wrong. that's not a big deal. what you are look for is the yellow to act more normally and the issue to move to the head that the yellow port on your head carriage is now sending data.

attached are two illustrations concerning a data swap for a jv3 (sp). maybe you can look at these and transpose the general arrangement on your printer? if not, get a roland savvy person to give you a careful walk through so that you don't loop voltages through the heads or carriage board the wrong direction causing damage.

Attachments

• mimaki data swap.JPG
    mimaki data swap.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 83