• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder strip for mimaki JV3

jazzdrum

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows of a generic encoder strip for mimaki printers, I'm talking about the clear piece of plastic, not the sensor, I'm being told mimaki wants $100-$200 for these which seems ridiculous for a piece of plastic, thanks for your help!

- Josh

artbot

i've seen lots of generic ones available out of taiwan and china. you might be able to get one from inkmed. but if you are shipping from china, i'd also go crazy and get a load of dampers and such too.

are you sure that it is bad? take a piece of paper and put it behind the strip. get a flashlight and magnifying glass. under magnification inspect every inch of it. if you are getting drifting prints you will probably find a tiny speck of ink. i had a horrible encoder issue and it turned out to be a cat hair inside of my sensor.

jazzdrum

Yeah Im pretty sure thats it, I can print 6" by 6" boxes perfect everywhere along the media except where there's a scratch on the encoder strip, then it starts 'jumping' right with every pass. But I have a friend who speaks Chinese and stays up late! :)

artbot

the chinese speaking friend may help. but i've been discussing this custom printer build for weeks with different chinese manufacturers and i'm really impressed with how fluent some of their sales people are. from what i can tell, the chinese distrubutors mostly prefer to use messengers to discuss products (skype, msn, alibaba trade manager).

just like if we were to learn another language, it's easier to see it and translate in our head. then hear it over what may be a bad connection and keep the conversation going smoothly.