• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder Strip Problems-Help

cartoad

Started as standard encoder problems, skewed printing, so two weeks ago replaced the encoder strip (new out of bag), and worked fine, then same problem with the printing, so cleaned the strip to no avail, turned it over and calibrated, and started printing in the morning, printing great, ran about 36 feet of printing and doing it again!!!
Printing thru Versa Works.
I have had encoder problems prior to this, and replaced and good to go for a long period of time, but never so short as two weeks, let alone just a few hours.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why an encoder strip would become defective so fast, or suggestions as to what else in the printer may be causing this?
Roland tech comes out of Seattle and costs about $1,000 per visit so I try to fix/adjust all that I can.
thanks
Hal

ova

How dirty is it when you cleaned? Is it a dark color residue or colors [red, yellow] on the cleaning cloth. If it's real bad, I would look at some nozzle issues. Some type of over spray getting on it. Do you some kind of air source close to the printer disturbing the printing?

Could you post a pic of the skewing. If it's one direction, you might have other issuses going on.

Dave

Gene@mpls

I took the plastic door off of my VP when new and haven't had any
strip problems. My SP was pretty constant problems with strips and
modules- also they improved the way the strip is shielded from crap.

threeputt

Hmmm....there's also the little encoder strip reader. Forget what it's called but it's the eye that reads the strip. That too can get dusty and need to be cleaned.

Maybe some compressed air sprayed on it?

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Hmmm....there's also the little encoder strip reader. Forget what it's called but it's the eye that reads the strip. That too can get dusty and need to be cleaned.

Maybe some compressed air sprayed on it?
Ditto on this.

I have had encoder strip issues on many occasions and a clean almost always fixes it. I have never replaced it and in talking with a local tech he says he has replaced very few. I did end up having the issue and had to clean the "eye" that reads the strip. Fixed it.

cartoad

Stripped it down today, and removed the encoder reader, cleaned it by feeding a cotton glove finger thru it to clean, it did not show any residue, but after putting it back together and doing a calibration was able to run 3 print and cut jobs with out any issues.
Over the years we have had a lot of problems with the encoder being dirty from overspray and I guess dust (we live in a very dusty dry locale). I guess will add another item to the cleaning routine. Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Just to be safe ordered another reader today to have on the shelf.

FKAT

The component that reads the (scale) encoder strip is the Encoder Sensor. If problems persist after replacing the encoder strip, change the Encoder Sensor. This component builds up debris from airborne ink and other particles in the air (after time).

If you feel comfortable enough, remove the sensor and spray it with a anti-static spray. This will clean it in most cases. If it looks redish or pink, it is defenitely dirty and needs to be replaced.