• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder Strip, When to replace?

txsurfer

I have been having some Alignment Issues with my SP 540V. I would wipe the Srip down with Alcohol, or Restart and that would seem to Fix the issue. This time I had to pull the strip out of the Machine, wipe it real well, pull the Sensor out, and clean it, I am now back up and running. My machine is 18 months old, is this a part I need to replace? I have seen a few post that seem to mention 18 months?

Last edited:

Checkers

What type of "alignment issues" are you having?
I really doubt an encoder strip goes bad unless you're cleaning it the wrong way and damaging it, or something else really goes wrong with the printer that would damage it too.
I've worked on printers that were nearly 10 years old and never had to replace one, which would lead me to believe that it could be the sensor or something else going wrong.

Checkers

threeputt

Checker's experience is different than mine. My strip went out at 16 months. We also wiped it down a couple of times, but it's not the cure-all you think. Be sure to use Isopropyl alcohol and not de-natured alcohol you find commonly at hardware stores. (use the drug store)

They're about $225.00. You can install yourself and avoid the service call, but at 18 months you probably need to have the main carriage cable tensioned and a few other things, as well.

Good luck with it.