• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder strip

Jim Hill

The colors on my SP-300 have a faded or washed out look to them and I was wondering if it could be time to replace the encoder strip.

I have cleaned a few times without it making any difference.

I have also done a powerful cleaning and a medium cleaning without it helping to improve the colors.

I have also done a manual cleaning thinking there might be something on the heads.

Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Thanks Jim

rjssigns

Need more info, but a dirty encoder strip will usually only cause fuzzy edges. Could be time for new cap-tops. Could have a clogged line/head. Did you run a Fill Test to see if it's a starvation issue? Could be a corrupted file. Lots of things may be causing it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Profiles, head heights, cleaning, contaminated media.... even possibly old stale inks could all be plausible culprit.

brentriley

The colors on my SP-300 have a faded or washed out look to them and I was wondering if it could be time to replace the encoder strip.

I have cleaned a few times without it making any difference.

I have also done a powerful cleaning and a medium cleaning without it helping to improve the colors.

I have also done a manual cleaning thinking there might be something on the heads.

Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Thanks Jim

Was it the Encoder Strip? I think min is going bad

artbot

it's a micro film that the head carriage's encoder sensor reads/counts left and right to confirm position for firing. when it has dirt (or speck of ink) on it, the sensor will skip a count and the print will start drifting right, staggered like stair steps. prints drifting to the left are a sign of an electronic issue with the sensor (dirt on a strip can not "add" to a count).

@jimhill, is the "washed out" look due to white spaces between the dots? are you in bidirectional? i'd do a bunch of testing in unidirectional compared to bi-. also static can cause microscopic misplacement dots causing white negative space and ink whisping away from the substrate causing a loss of density.