• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

End of roll message...but it is mid print on second side of banner

Hi!
It's been a while since I've been here...good I guess, everything has been going well...until a minute ago. I have a Mutoh 1204 valuejet and I am printing the second side of a 2 sided banner. In mid print I get a message that says "End of Roll". I have at least 8 more feet of media before it's the end of the roll...anyone with ideas on why this happened or is there a way to over-ride the message and continue printing so the whole print isn't a waste?
Thanks for the help!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I had the same issue printing double sided banners that had a lot of solid black on both sides.
I asked here if there was a way to turn it off from the menu but didn't get an answer.

On the 1304 the rear sensor is about 6" to the left of the capping station right behind the hold down bar (small oval hole in platen). 1204 should be in about the same place.

Easy fix is to take a strip of copy paper about 2" wide, crease it in middle to form an "L" shape so the end covers the sensor and is just short of the hold down wheels. The other end of the "L" goes down the backside of the printer with some tape to hold it in place.
This keeps the media from pulling it under the print head and you just flip it down out of the way when it is not needed.

wayne k
guam
usa

I wondered about covering the hole! These banners do have a dark print on them. Of course the last batch I did were orange and I haven't had a problem. I'll try your idea.
Thanks for the help. I love this printer had it 3 1/2 years now and really no major issues just thea wiper blade that stuck once.
I appreciate the reply, thanks!

randya

You may be able to effectivly disable by Media Initial=off.
But it will not initialize the media, so your media will need to be loaded in the same place - left/right and forward.

Well, I covered the hole like Wayne said then ran the first banner I was printing when I got the message back through since it was scrap anyway and....it worked!
I love this place! People are so helpful and SMART! Maybe Signs 101 folks should get together and Balance our Nation's budget! probably wouldn't be in the mess it's in in the first place!
Hey, thanks everyone for your replies!

Stealth Ryder

Banner media has a tendacy to stick to itself on a full roll, this is enough tension to put enough strain on the PF motor to raise the amperage just enough to to initiate that error... Simply, babysit the printer a bit when starting the print by unrolling the media just enough that allows the the media to freely feed into the machine with as little tension/strain on the PF system...

Typestries

sensor error also a common issue on the designjet9000. Pretty much have had the rear sensor covered with a piece of white vinyl since day 1. Of course, when your roll really does run out, and the machine keeps printing (say on an overnight run) well then you have one hell of a mess to clean up.

henryp

When printing double sided banners, it is as good practice to cover the rear media sensor with a piece of white vinyl. The media sensor is an optical one so that when any area of dark print passes over it, the light that the sensor generates is absorbed by the dark print and is not reflected back to the sensor's receiver so the printer then thinks there is no more media and it will come up with that error message.

Thanks,
I've ran 2 sided banners before and never had a problem but the color is darker on these. I haven't had a problem since covering the sensor. That worked really well. amazing how valueble a piece of copy paper can be! :)

kirkbedtelyon

Mine just stopped a print on my 1624...Probably a good thing... The infeed material was buckeling up on the right (capping station side) of the printer. I'm assuming the sensor is located in that area as well thus the problem... I'm glad it happend near the end of the 30' print. Just white space left.

It would be great if Mutoh programed in a "resume print after false read" option.

dlndesign

Sensor errors are so common I have had issues with it on a HP, Roland, Seiko and Epson printers. Especially second sided banners that are dark, the sensor is looking for white to bounce light off and when it doesn't come back, wala! no banner. Glad the helpful guys here were able to help you out.

http://www.cmykthis.com