• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

end of support for windows 7

GB2

Old Member
I think you are not understanding what I said....and I know that I do not understand what you are saying....what is VMing?? I am definitely continuing to use the old computers, that is the point, how do you keep them on your active network but not have them connected to the outside world.

WildWestDesigns

I think you are not understanding what I said....and I know that I do not understand what you are saying....what is VMing?? I am definitely continuing to use the old computers, that is the point, how do you keep them on your active network but not have them connected to the outside world.

I understood what you were saying. Either one of those situations would allow you to continue to hookup to a network and use it, although how you would do it would be different.

VM is short for Virtual Machine. It is essentially running a computer within a computer. But instead of having a separate "tower" for XP or Win 7, everything is handle by software and your entire XP or Win 7 computer are contained within a single file (if your are trying to replace say 4 computers, they will all be within their own individual files). VMing is a way to use the older systems without having to maintain older hardware (which is going to get harder and harder to fix/replace).

If you want to use existing hardware and not VM, then I would suggest making sure that the server that you want to connect to with your legacy computers does not have internet access. If it has access anywhere to the outside network, the potential for your legacy equipment to get infected is greater. There is some malware that can attack files even through network shares.

Now, if you go the VM route, then you would want to get to network shares by using "shared folders". Essentially the network share is mounted to the host OS and that mount point is used as a "shared folder" that the guest OS (legacy OS) can see and use. You would have to scan all incoming files to make sure that it's not going to affect the legacy OSs (same thing that you would have to do if using older hardware with a server that's connected to the outside network), but the beauty of a VM is if something gets infected, it's easier to have a backup of one file and just delete the infected file and move a clean copy of the backup in it's place.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
At this point, computers are so cheap, they should be factored in to the cost of doing business, and probably should be replaced every 5 years or so to handle updated OS, as well as stay current with other software compatibility. We have one remaining design PC with Win 7 on it. It runs fine (now) but is probably 8 years old and could be faster. Sure I could swap out the hard drive, add memory, maybe upgrade the video card, but by the time I do that AND update Windows to 10, I could buy a new PC for not much more and have ALL new parts.

WildWestDesigns

...I could buy a new PC for not much more and have ALL new parts.

The only downside here is that depending where you get it and how much scratch you put down, you may have all new parts, but I wouldn't be surprised if those parts are 1-2 yrs old in terms of the tech that's in them. Particular true if going to a box store and getting an off the shelf computer. Now, that's still better then trying to keep an 8 yr old computer going (which is why I like to VM when possible as the host computer would be up to date)), but just something to consider.

Another thing to consider as well, ports. Are they there or are they not there. Have to get a converter, and if so, which one?

Also, if have to use old optical media, I would highly suggest "ripping" to an ISO. Also a handy way to back it up as well. Use disc burning software, not archive software. Even though archiving software (the good ones) will handle ISO creation just fine.

Otherwise, I'm in total agreement, but to have new and then try to keep an old rig working.

WildWestDesigns

what do you want thoughts on? Just upgrade dude, lol

I would actually say that this would be the way to do it, before just assuming that everything would work out of the box with the upgrade. Or if it's a stable system even (which seems to be a mixed bag for those that have experienced Win 10, some have a great experience, some do not, hard to tell which one that you would fall into, but at least it'll give you a heads up about what to look for).

Of course, it doesn't help that a significant vulnerability was disclosed on the twilight of Win 7 that affects Win 10 (which I wouldn't be surprised if it actually affects legacy versions as well, there have been a couple of Win 10 vulnerabilities that date all the way back to Win 95, some of that legacy code needs to be stripped out).

I'm all for being on the latest (I'm running a beta version of an OS on my main office rig that doesn't get a stable release until April), don't get me wrong, but even if one has to upgrade to it, regardless if they want to or not, at least find out what the trouble spots are (or as much as one can).

Reveal1

At this point, computers are so cheap, they should be factored in to the cost of doing business, and probably should be replaced every 5 years or so to handle updated OS, as well as stay current with other software compatibility. We have one remaining design PC with Win 7 on it. It runs fine (now) but is probably 8 years old and could be faster. Sure I could swap out the hard drive, add memory, maybe upgrade the video card, but by the time I do that AND update Windows to 10, I could buy a new PC for not much more and have ALL new parts.

Good point; A $750 - $1000 PC depreciated over 7 years is chump change. For that money you get Win 10 pro and can run almost anything in your shop (RIP/File Server/Business applications) for the next 5-7 years except your design PCs and even a decent design PC can be spec'd out for close to that. Digital print is inherently a tech dependent business sector and we need to stay current to thrive. I'm 65 and have been in graphics related biz over 40 years and it always amazes me to hear the stress of someone (possibly younger than me) wanting to cling to old tech. I spend a fair amount of time researching tech and applications to make my small business more efficient and competitive. To me, trying to figure out how to keep an obsolete PC or OS running another year is a waste of time.

WildWestDesigns

Good point; A $750 - $1000 PC depreciated over 7 years is chump change. For that money you get Win 10 pro and can run almost anything in your shop (RIP/File Server/Business applications) for the next 5-7 years except your design PCs and even a decent design PC can be spec'd out for close to that. Digital print is inherently a tech dependent business sector and we need to stay current to thrive. I'm 65 and have been in graphics related biz over 40 years and it always amazes me to hear the stress of someone (possibly younger than me) wanting to cling to old tech. I spend a fair amount of time researching tech and applications to make my small business more efficient and competitive. To me, trying to figure out how to keep an obsolete PC or OS running another year is a waste of time.

Don't negate stability of either the platform or the software that runs on it. Or depending on the individual situation, if that software that one's business is dependent on is even compatible with the latest versions. And if it is compatible with the latest version, how stable and reliable that is as well.

Stability is a huge factor in being efficient and competitive.

There is a fine line between the two. I'm all for upgrades, but the recent track that everything is on, really does take a hit of stability. What little I've done in the software dev world tells me this and what experience that I have had Win 10 tells me this and from what I've read on here as well about Win 10 and various software on it (although, a forum like this, would tend to skew one way over the other, just by the nature of it being a forum).

Baz

My main design/production pc is 5 years old. Running on Windows 7.
I design with it and run all my machines on it. A Roland printer, Roland cutter and two engraving machines.
It has a i7 processor, 16 gigs of ram and an SSD drive (plus a a standard drive).
I have no need to upgrade my hardware right now.

My opinion is as long as your browser and email client is updated it should pose minimal risk to get infected.
I don't want to go through the downtime of re configuring my machines or software should a problem occur while updating the OS.
I'd rather do that on a new computer when doing the initial setup.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
One thing to think about...if you have an issue with Flexi, or Corel, or AI, or anything, and you seek help....what is the first question that tech will ask? "Which OS are you running?" And they will probably suggest you need to be running on Win 10 and won't try to troubleshoot too much if you're on an older OS.

WildWestDesigns

One thing to think about...if you have an issue with Flexi, or Corel, or AI, or anything, and you seek help....what is the first question that tech will ask? "Which OS are you running?" And they will probably suggest you need to be running on Win 10 and won't try to troubleshoot too much if you're on an older OS.

Bare in mind, this actually applies to VMs as well, even VMs of current OSs. Those that run Win10 on Mac are out of luck on support more often then not.

TopFliteGraphics

Just ran into my first issue since EOL for Win 7. Went to install some new software and will not install on windows 7 OS. I tried it anyways just becasue and sure enough, no dice. Oh well, time to upgrade...

visual800

Just ran into my first issue since EOL for Win 7. Went to install some new software and will not install on windows 7 OS. I tried it anyways just becasue and sure enough, no dice. Oh well, time to upgrade...

No, its time to celebrate. you do not need window updates for anything. your computer will run just fine and life will be great. No more suprises, no more updated that cause issues

WildWestDesigns

Since it's only been a little over a month, I'm surprised that a program already won't install on Win 7. Usually it takes a little longer for things to reach upstream to make it to where they don't install. Nightly and/or niche software, maybe, but typically it does take a little while to reach upstream with programs to stop working. What program is this?

No, its time to celebrate. you do not need window updates for anything. your computer will run just fine and life will be great. No more suprises, no more updated that cause issues

I halfway agree with this. Windows updates have never had the best deployment record (and still don't, especially since there is no internal QC anymore), but Windows in of itself, does have it's issues that need to be patched. Malware (and I'm using this in a broad term) isn't always going to be noticeable, in fact, some are very sneaky about what they do. It's not the days of so many popups on the screen that cause your computer to crash.

I don't like it in a production setting, but if your computer is online (considering most programs are going cloud based or at the very least subscription based), very much a requirement. While antivirus/malware programs may still support Win 7, they too will drop support although I think it's a year or two before they do. Windows has always had their issues (at least in my mind) that make for not so much a secure system, this just adds to it.