• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

End of year reviews

Does anybody do end of year reviews with your team members? I was thinking about doing a worksheet for both sides to comment. I would like to give a review for positive points that I feel member exceeds at and points that do good but always area they do not meet expectations. Plus I would like goals for next year.

I would also like some form for the person to give recommendations on how they feel it could improve and help them

does anyone think think this could benefit us or will it just be a waste of time?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Does anybody do end of year reviews with your team members? I was thinking about doing a worksheet for both sides to comment. I would like to give a review for positive points that I feel member exceeds at and points that do good but always area they do not meet expectations. Plus I would like goals for next year.

I would also like some form for the person to give recommendations on how they feel it could improve and help them
does anyone think think this could benefit us or will it just be a waste of time?

Some people don't see reviews as beneficial, but they are. You can reinforce this by demonstrating the improvements that have made throughout the previous year...which means you'd better be paying close attention to your business, and the growth of your employees.

I think it's an excellent idea, but try to keep this special year-end review a 100% positive experience for both you and the employee. Make sure it's totally different than private evaluations. Your employee shouldn't dread this review like that annual (gal or guy) exam at the doctor's office. Make a big deal about it...pizza party, wear jeans to work, whatever you can to help boost the morale that day. And maybe even come up with a name for it...anything other than "review" or "evaluation".

Whatever you do, make sure employee problems throughout the year are dealt with as soon they happen, don't "save" them up until this yearly meeting. Goals and action plans for resolving an employee's problems and issues should be set at the moment an issue happens, and further evaluated during their private evaluations throughout the year.

If you need to address general problems at the year-end review, make sure to do so in a general nature (don't single out individuals). You're the boss. Lay out a plan and make your presentation. If you ask for honest and constructive input from your employees, be prepared to act on it, otherwise it will have the potential to spawn animosity and hinder further employee input.

Some employees may be clueless when it comes to goals. It's your job to point out their strengths and help them identify their potential within your company. Be prepared to help them cultivate that growth. Let them take it from there, and then reward accordingly. If they're observant and really want to do something with their career, they'll move toward these goals.

JB

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
After reading your post, I mis-understood this to be a group meeting instead of individual evaluations...sorry.

I've been part of year-end group meetings, and they were always positive. It helped "rally the troops" around the goals for the new year. I also think that they should stay that way if you plan on doing this for the individual as well.

People usually make new-year's resolutions this time of year, and this would be an appropriate time to stay focused on the positive. Perhaps it would be best to keep the "serious" evaluation for the middle of the year.

JB

zmatalucci

I see this as a perfect time to skimp on end of year bonuses... Hand them a review that says better luck next year with a smaller bonus than years previous :smile: j/k

visual800

I think its agreat idea to do it and stick to it. When I am doing my end of year paperwork and tax stuff I think as to the mistakes that were made and what can be done to improve on the upcoming year. Last year I made some vows and stuck to them and I gotta say they worked out great. Some of the largest issues I have is dealing with dead end clients. I decided to no longer entertain these type of clients if they ever called the shop again.They called and I did not deal with them. I turned them over to someone else or just ignored them

I also vowed NO MORE RUSH JOBS. This was a couple years back I did this. The only way I will do rush is if I have the materials in hand and I have nothing else to do and they pay promptly. I have stuck by this also and it has really helped.

Last vow also a couple years ago, no more small BS projects for friends. They always lead to nothing but a freakin headache and a waste of time. If I could only go back 20 years ago and implemet these rules that would have saved me a lot of grief

Every year should start out with new goals and rules. Good luck and when you make the rules stick to them

Stanton

I think its a great idea to do it and stick to it. When I am doing my end of year paperwork and tax stuff I think as to the mistakes that were made and what can be done to improve on the upcoming year. Last year I made some vows and stuck to them and I gotta say they worked out great. Some of the largest issues I have is dealing with dead end clients. I decided to no longer entertain these type of clients if they ever called the shop again.They called and I did not deal with them. I turned them over to someone else or just ignored them

I also vowed NO MORE RUSH JOBS. This was a couple years back I did this. The only way I will do rush is if I have the materials in hand and I have nothing else to do and they pay promptly. I have stuck by this also and it has really helped.

Last vow also a couple years ago, no more small BS projects for friends. They always lead to nothing but a freakin headache and a waste of time. If I could only go back 20 years ago and implemet these rules that would have saved me a lot of grief

Every year should start out with new goals and rules. Good luck and when you make the rules stick to them

I think he was asking about employee reviews.

Can't agree more with your take on "clients" in their various form.

Apparently we are 'sign shop' men.

The word "rush" makes me bristle.
We plan jobs weeks ahead.

My sign shop didn't even have a sign.

25 to 30 employees, two 80 foot, one 65 foot boom trucks, 35,000 sqft electricity sucking shop
on an acre and a half, $20,000 + / week payroll plus taxes, etc. Materials extra.

Pull your hair out kinda stuff.

No walk ins.

We never did retail,
Nothing without a contract.

But, a few times, every so often, a couple 'C' notes. Thanks for dinner out.

Can't be that gruff day-to-day, but, Ooooh it feels good to vent to like minded fellows.
I feel what you are saying.

Now I go surf fishing every other day.
Long range, (8 to 12 days), every season.