• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Engineer Grade white reflective Vinyl for plotting

KaranGrewal

Please advice which Engineer Grade white reflective Vinyl is best for plotting and weeding small text ( .5" H ) Outdoor use. Will be plotting on Summa. Thank you.

Andy D

I don't know if it's the best but we normally use 3M 5100-10
1/2" copy is going to be a PITA though.....

Snydo

Oralite 5600 weeds pretty decent at that size, like Andy said, it's going to suck on any reflective.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Also a fan of Oracal 5600 series. I don't use new sharp blades though, I use dull blades and turn the pressure up. I have to be careful about cuts near the edge, but I have learned how to effectively do it over the years and don't despise reflective anymore. If there is anything I do despise, sandblast stencil and chrome. :banghead:

Andy D

Also a fan of Oracal 5600 series. I don't use new sharp blades though, I use dull blades and turn the pressure up. I have to be careful about cuts near the edge, but I have learned how to effectively do it over the years and don't despise reflective anymore. If there is anything I do despise, sandblast stencil and chrome. :banghead:

Yeah, same here, reflective and metallic ruin blades for cutting regular vinyl after just one use.
I have two blade carriers, one for regular vinyl and one for reflective and metallic.

Once the regular vinyl blade is too far gone, it goes into the carrier for reflective and metallic.

TomK

Yeah, same here, reflective and metallic ruin blades for cutting regular vinyl after just one use.
I have two blade carriers, one for regular vinyl and one for reflective and metallic.

Once the regular vinyl blade is too far gone, it goes into the carrier for reflective and metallic.

Speaking of 5600, I printed on it with my HP 300 Latex for the first time today, awesome stuff, and they have a profile for it too!

I'm a happy camper now, reflective was one of the last reasons I kept the Gerber Thermal plugged in.

Snydo

5700 prints great on both latex and solvent, and is a quite a bit cheaper. If you don't need the conformability. Does not weed nearly as well as 5600 though.

TomK

5700 prints great on both latex and solvent, and is a quite a bit cheaper. If you don't need the conformability. Does not weed nearly as well as 5600 though.

Thanks, I wasn't aware the 5700 was printable and bought some 5600, and didn't need the conformability, I'll save money with the next order by going with 5700. Did you use the same profile for 5700 as the 5600?

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I would buy a small quantity of 5700 series before you buy a roll and run through your printer. I've struggled in the past to print on it compared to the 5600 (Same profile) and as mentioned earlier, it doesn't weed or cut as easily.

Snydo

With 5700 I've found that the first 3 or 4 feet are usually contaminated all to heck for printing, you get a lot of mottling. Thoroughly cleaning with isopropyl can help but wont eliminate this. After you get through those first few feet though it has always printed perfectly fine for me. I use the Oracal 3640 profile for our SureColor Epsons with all heat settings maxed.

Jillbeans

I run very small vinyl (15" or 24" max) I have usually only cut Scotchlite (3M) reflective. I tried Oracal reflective one time and hated it, and before the Avery fiasco, I used a good amount of that (then discovered it all delaminated)

I think it's better to spend a little more for ease of use and longevity...although I recently was told of the 3M air-relaese type reflective delaminating.
So glad I mainly just paint signs these days.
Love....jill