• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

English to Spanish

skyhigh

I am the Lone Ranger and you are my tonto.
[h=1]Ya "got me" John. For a second, I thought you were saying something nice. [/h]GOOD ONE!!! :Big Laugh

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tonto is a fictional character, the Native American companion or sidekick of the Lone Ranger, a popular American Western character created by George W. Trendle and Fran Striker. Tonto has appeared in radio and television series and other presentations of the characters' adventures righting wrongs in 19th century western America.[SUP][2][/SUP]
In Spanish, "tonto" stands for "moron" or "fool"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're really worried, why not call the local school and ask a Spanish teacher to translate it ??

Around here, it's getting to be almost all Hispanic. A few years back, I asked a Spanish person about translating a sign. He took it home to his grandmother who translated it perfectly..... or so we thought.

I then asked my tenants, who were both from Puerto Rico. One is a General Practitioner Doctor and the other is a Neurologist. Both thought to be rather smart. Right...:rolleyes:
They both spelled things differently. Seems many... or almost all Spanish speaking people can do that and only that. They speak and understand it, while spelling for the most part is not known by the vast majority of Latinos, at least in our area. Most are taught the language from little on up, but had no classes, so they never learn to spell it. One will say put the tildes, accents, upside down question marks or exchanging commas for periods and vice versa in numbers this way and the next person will say it's wrong and do it differently. There seems to be no basics for Spanish, especially if you speak Spanish from Argentina vs. Mexico or Ecuador. It's all understood, but not as easy in writing.

Heck, we can't spell all of our English correctly and then you're worried about spelling a secondary language correctly ?? What's a Low's ??

jvrproductions

Wrong one..

Hello neato. My englsh it's not great but i am verry good on spanish. ""MATERIAL DE RELLENO LÍMPIO"" do not make any sense to me on spanish if you explain what you try to say i can give you the correct one

neato

Hey JVR

I'm referring to the original post which asked for a translation of "clean fill" into spanish, which in English normally means dirt.

Me refiero al hilo original en que se pidio que se traduzca el frase "clean fill" al español. En inglés cuando se usa este frase normalmente quire decir "tierra".

Seria mas válido entonces decir: "Tierra Limpia", o "Material limpío para rellenar". Disculpa, es que estoy aprendiendo su idioma y todavia cometo muchos errores. :)

Por cierto, a mi me parece que tu ingles es muy bueno. Ojala yo pueda hablar el español así algun dia.

Hello neato. My englsh it's not great but i am verry good on spanish. ""MATERIAL DE RELLENO LÍMPIO"" do not make any sense to me on spanish if you explain what you try to say i can give you the correct one

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Being of Mexican descent, you would think I would know, but my parents never taught me so they could talk behind my back.. my only contribution to this thread is...

I'm now craving a chile relleno...

Hicalibersigns

It would help if we knew the context. Where is the sign to be posted? At a land fill? At a dentist's office? What thought are you trying to convey. I learned long ago that you cannot just translate the words. When I was learning the names of the tools from a friend I asked him what the Spanish word for a wrench was. He didn't know and told me he would ask him mom and tell me the next day. I looked it up on one of the translation sites, and came back with arrancar. He nearly died laughing. Arrancar does mean wrench, as in rip or tear, as in to wrench something from someone's hands. The word I was looking for was Llave inglese, literally "English key". Context is very important.

skyhigh

MATERIAL DE RELLENO LÍMPIO
Google Translate says this means......"Clean Fill Material".

"Clean Fill" in a "construction" type field (where this is going), would be referring to "clean dirt or shale", without any foreign materials or contamination.

All of these seem to work......
MATERIAL DE RELLENO LÍMPIO
TIERRA LIMPIO
llENADO LIMPIO

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a sign that just read 'CLEAN FILL'.

They always say Clean Fill Wanted or Clean Fill ONLY. Otherwise, it sounds like a place, rather than a request or an order.

skyhigh

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a sign that just read 'CLEAN FILL'.

They always say Clean Fill Wanted or Clean Fill ONLY. Otherwise, it sounds like a place, rather than a request or an order.

I guess you would have to see the backdrop where this is going. Really is self explanatory

wwpro

Hi there or Hola :p
I can help with this, probably one of the things I can help with on this forums.

If you can provide a better idea of where this goes or the context where it would be used I can clear that up for you.
You made the sign already (guessing here) but it doesn't hurt to know for the next time, or at least understand what you just did

If the Clean Fill thing was someone providing or receiving material to fill or level a piece of land or construction site is one thing, if you're filling something you're supposed to keep clean, is another ..... in every language there are lots of ways to say the same thing, here's one example. :thumb:

skyhigh

Hi there or Hola :p
I can help with this, probably one of the things I can help with on this forums.

If you can provide a better idea of where this goes or the context where it would be used I can clear that up for you.
You made the sign already (guessing here) but it doesn't hurt to know for the next time, or at least understand what you just did

If the Clean Fill thing was someone providing or receiving material to fill or level a piece of land or construction site is one thing, if you're filling something you're supposed to keep clean, is another ..... in every language there are lots of ways to say the same thing, here's one example. :thumb:

This is a place that sells mulch, stone, sand, gravel, ect..... including clean fill dirt.....aka "clean fill"

When customers enter this "stone & quarry" type business, it wouldn't be unusual to see a sign that simply says.......2A. Also, anyone reading this sign would know exactly what it means.....otherwise, you are at the wrong place.

FYI. 2A is the type of stone you would typically use to create a driveway. It will compact to form a hard base, as it has pulverized limestone (kinda acts like cement). 2B stone will remain loose, and is good for filling around your french drains.

wwpro

Not exactly the scenario I had in mind, but I'd go with "Relleno Limpio" as mentioned before. In that enviroment, any spanish speaking person would understand what that means