• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Engraving Acrylic materials

EZ Ink

Have a gravograph M40 rotary engraver. Just did my first piece of acrylic media and it look good, but I notice small areas around the lettering that were quite as smooth as the other letters, making the engraving not as uniformed as I would like. I am using a 3.0 general purpose cutting piece. Would painting the letters or another other techniques be useful in making the text more uniformed. Thanks.

Glenn Combs
EZ Ink Promotions

Attachments

• 20180301_231102_resized.jpg
    20180301_231102_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 331

Martin Denton

Have a gravograph M40 rotary engraver. Just did my first piece of acrylic media and it look good, but I notice small areas around the lettering that were quite as smooth as the other letters, making the engraving not as uniformed as I would like. I am using a 3.0 general purpose cutting piece. Would painting the letters or another other techniques be useful in making the text more uniformed. Thanks.

Glenn Combs
EZ Ink Promotions
Are those cut out letters as apposed to engraved? I certainly wouldnt expect that quality if cut out letters. That said I have never tried to do them with an engraver, its more the norm to use either a laser cutter or CNC router for that type of work. Generally speaking it will be a combination of the sharpness of the tool, the speed of the tool (rotational and forward speed) and how well it is being held down on the bed. It looks to me as though the tool used was a bit blunt but it could be either of the above. Best thing is to refer to the gravograph manual for recommended settings, try a brand new tool and experiment - diameter of tool wont make any difference to the cut quality and a new tool shouldn't cause the edges to shatter...

EZ Ink

I used my engraver to engrave the lettering. Since first time engraving not sure what the difference between CNC router and engraver. The blade I used was brand new, and the speed to my knowledge is non adjustable. The material according to JDS industries that makes it, says I can engrave using a rotary, so I assume I could use my machine. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Glenn Combs
EZ Ink Promotions

studio 440

Glenn Combs
EZ Ink Promotions
try slowing down your cut speed