Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Engraving Acrylic materials

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Engravers' started by EZ Ink, Mar 2, 2018.

1. EZ Ink

EZ Ink New Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Brentwood, CA
    Have a gravograph M40 rotary engraver. Just did my first piece of acrylic media and it look good, but I notice small areas around the lettering that were quite as smooth as the other letters, making the engraving not as uniformed as I would like. I am using a 3.0 general purpose cutting piece. Would painting the letters or another other techniques be useful in making the text more uniformed. Thanks.

Glenn Combs
    EZ Ink Promotions

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    Are those cut out letters as apposed to engraved? I certainly wouldnt expect that quality if cut out letters. That said I have never tried to do them with an engraver, its more the norm to use either a laser cutter or CNC router for that type of work. Generally speaking it will be a combination of the sharpness of the tool, the speed of the tool (rotational and forward speed) and how well it is being held down on the bed. It looks to me as though the tool used was a bit blunt but it could be either of the above. Best thing is to refer to the gravograph manual for recommended settings, try a brand new tool and experiment - diameter of tool wont make any difference to the cut quality and a new tool shouldn't cause the edges to shatter...

3. EZ Ink

EZ Ink New Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Brentwood, CA
    I used my engraver to engrave the lettering. Since first time engraving not sure what the difference between CNC router and engraver. The blade I used was brand new, and the speed to my knowledge is non adjustable. The material according to JDS industries that makes it, says I can engrave using a rotary, so I assume I could use my machine. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Glenn Combs
    EZ Ink Promotions

4. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    Hi Glen so those are engraved letters not cut out (as in individual letters) ?

5. studio 440

studio 440 Member

Jul 19, 2010
    cali
    try slowing down your cut speed

6. EZ Ink

EZ Ink New Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Brentwood, CA
    Yes, the machine engraved the letters on the acrylic

Glenn Combs
    EZ Ink Promotions

7. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Different acrylics will also engrave differently (cast vs extruded)