• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Engraving Machine for ADA signs, name plates

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has experience with smaller engraving machines and making raster Braille ADA signs. We have a 60x120 Multicam router, so we are not in need of heavy CNC routing capability. Our old Gerber Dimension router has died and we am looking to replace it. Our Multicam does not do very well with smaller engraved plastic signs. Mainly we are looking to do 2 things:
- smaller engraved plastic signs
- Rowmark plastic ADA signs

The latter we have no experience with whatsoever (farming out yes, but not actually producing). I'm curious what the workflow is for making ADA signs. We probably would be doing about 10 signs at a clip. So if we are doing say (10) 6x6 Rowmark 1/8" plastic backing ADA signs, what is the workflow? Rout them out first with the applique and then put each one individually on the engraving machine? Or can the engraving machine also cut them out? I am looking at a Vision 1624 system (16x24 bed, engraver only - no router). My limited knowledge is that Vision is a solid company to deal with, maybe not the cheapest. I would greatly appreciate any advice or experience in this arena.

BTW - not interested at all in lasers. I have a great local source for laser engraving, I just don't see that as a need for the volume and type of work that we do. And they are expensive.

Thanks!

bccrjones

RCBCjones
I am using the 1624 Vision Engraver for ADA Sinage.

Go to the vision website. They have very good tutorials as well as testimonials.

V-ENGRAVE

Here is a list of companies to look at:

Vision
Xenetech
Quality 1
U-Marq
Roland
Gravograph

For small quantity you will do you can go with smaller machine. Ebay has a listing for Xenetech 1313 system that will do just fine.-----------------See listing #181720339398

ADASignOutlet

We have used a Techno CNC 5996 from 2004 to 2012 to make 1000's of ADA signs. Put a whole Rowmark sheet on the table (we used to put 4 sheets), cut the braille holes, change tools o profile cutter (we have auto tool changer) add applique and cut out--then change to end mill and cutout signs.
In 2012 bought a Roland EGX 400. We then used the router to cut out blanks--put as many blanks that will fit on engraver table--cut braille-change tool-cut applique--engraver is MUTCH FASTER.

Now I order most of my material cut by Bur-Lane--and I have a safety saw-so I will be selling the Techno CNC soon, since I almost never use it now (works great--paid $63K will sell for $9K) comes with Enroute Pick Up Only in Wilton,CA. Some pics on website-will post more here soon

Feel free to ask any questions on ADA signs.

Regards,

Ron

GB2

Old Member
Are you interested in another Gerber Dimension 200X? I could possibly have a very nice one for sale.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Thank you for the help guys. I will check out those brands listed and get some more quotes. I have no interest in buying used. I plan to get 10+ years out of this machine, so spending a little more to hit the ground running with proper training, long term support, etc is well worth it to me. I also do not want a smaller unit. The difference in cost to get a 16x24 bed was only a couple thousand dollars more. I would actually pay a little more to get like a 24x24 bed. Production efficiency can pay for itself very quickly, and we have done a number of larger ADA signs in the past. Sounds like pre-cutting the blanks on our large CNC router and using this machine for strictly engraving and Braille cutting is the way to go. I'll keep researching.