• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ENLARGE IMAGE How to know how much it can take

Zazzess

Hi my friends !

I have this nice image we want to put on a truck and I would like to know
how to calculate how much larger it can be without having to test it on the printer.

Thanks for helping me !

Sorry for the still newbie questions :peace!:.

:blondie:

Zazzess

What is the original size & resolution and what will be the intended size?

I usually scale it to what I need and If I'm unsure I'll crop a small piece and print it out.... but sometimes you can tell right away that it won't be good enough.

I know that it is rarely the thing to do but I'll give it a try.
We always want to do a good good job.

So thanks for wanting to help me. I'm not sure about the intended size yet because I want to keep as much quality as I can.

The truck is 28'.

The file is 92''/26''. The resolution is 9200</exif:pixelXDimension>
<exif:pixelYDimension>2600...

I'm not sure what to look at is ... Hope I'm giving you the right info.

:thankyou:

Zazzess

so you have a 9200x2600 image you want to put on a 28' truck... that's really not that bad all things considered.

I don't think anything bad had happened to me...

Thanks for telling me that tho its encouraging me loll...

So... if I test it ? Would it be okay ?

:thankyou:

MikePro

heck, you can always setup the file in your rip and print a 6" tile on some scrap vinyl to see what it'd look like. i do it all the time to show clients how bad their provided "artwork" prints without a little design time.
perferrably, I like my resolution to end up being at least 50dpi at fullscale (usually 72dpi looks great for really large projects)
i save every bit of scrap i can for this purpose, as well as nozzle checks/etc. Must have nearly a mile of 6" material I cutoff my 54" economy rolls when i'm printing 4' MDO panels. (even laminated stuff is worth saving, still prints just fine enough for this purpose.)

Zazzess

heck, you can always setup the file in your rip and print a 6" tile on some scrap vinyl to see what it'd look like. i do it all the time to show clients how bad their provided "artwork" prints without a little design time.
perferrably, I like my resolution to end up being at least 50dpi at fullscale (usually 72dpi looks great)
i save every bit of scrap i can for this purpose, as well as nozzle checks/etc. Must have nearly a mile of 6" material I cutoff my 54" economy rolls when i'm printing 4' MDO panels. (even laminated stuff is worth saving, still prints just fine enough for this purpose.)

:thumb::thankyou::goodpost::thankyou::thumb:

thats a very good start for a file size!! we have 2 graphics programmes that help us resize to a larger scale. one is eye candy and the other is perfect resize, both do a simular job of taking an image and making it bigger without to much loss of clarity.

it maybe worth asking your boss to get something like that, they help alot!

good luck with it, please post pictures when it done. :thumb:

Zazzess

thats a very good start for a file size!! we have 2 graphics programmes that help us resize to a larger scale. one is eye candy and the other is perfect resize, both do a simular job of taking an image and making it bigger without to much loss of clarity.

it maybe worth asking your boss to get something like that, they help alot!

good luck with it, please post pictures when it done. :thumb:

Thanks Rush !

:thankyou::goodpost: :loveya:

Gene@mpls

Mask a 7"x9" area of the full size image ( preferably an area you are concerned about) and print at 100% on your desktop
printer- quick, cheap, effective.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I know that it is rarely the thing to do but I'll give it a try.
We always want to do a good good job.

So thanks for wanting to help me. I'm not sure about the intended size yet because I want to keep as much quality as I can.

The truck is 28'.

The file is 92''/26''. The resolution is 9200</exif:pixelXDimension>
<exif:pixelYDimension>2600..

So you have a 100ppi image at 92"x26", not a half bad start. The image is what it is and to enlarge it requires that information be added to it.

There's two ways to do this, just enarge each pixel, in your case 336:92, which comes to each pixel being enlarged 356% in both the X and Y directions at 100ppi.

The second way is to interpolate the missing information from the existing pixels. Unless you want enormous monochromatic squares for each existing pixel, which is exactly what you will get if you just grab a corner of the image and stretch it or use the resample algorithms in most draw packages.

You can use something like Photo Zoom Pro. There are other proprietary packages as well, they all do their own variation of a spline fit algorithm and they all work very well. A spline fit will enlarge the image without any pixelization whatsoever. It will, however, tend to make it blurry and have some pixel bloom around definite edges. If the original image is reasonably crisp this won't matter at all. If it's not sufficiently crisp, shrug, it is what it is.

charissabuskirk

I try, when possible, to print no less then 150dpi, but it also depends on: 1- picky customer; 2- viewing distance.

But like everyone else has stated, scale it to the size you want, crop out a paper sized piece and print on your desktop; and there are programs that will help to increase the size/resolution so your image will look "blurry" as opposed to pixelated.