• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Enlarging photos need help?

landdesigns

Looking for tutorials or advice on enlarging photos using photoshop. Doing a large truck with a large digital print 10' X 10' feet.

Todd

RavenTecGraphics

enlarging photos in photoshop will result in distortion if you have to have it blown up too much. in my photoshop elements (which is what I had opened), Image> Resize> Image Size

rjpjr

If using Illustrator CS or above... edit(NOT Illustrator CS...Photoshop CS!!)

1. With image open, choose Image/Image Size

2. Change Pixels in the Pixel Dimensions option box to Percent.

3. Change 100% to 110%

4. Move to the bottom of the Image size window. Next to the Resample Image option you will see "Bicubic" Click Bicubic to bring up the menu and select Bicubic smoother.

5. Click OK.

6. Repeat the process until you achieve the desired size and resolution. IMHO this process works as well as many of the aftermarket plug ins.

7. If you are pleased with the results you can record the steps as an action so that the whole process can completed with just the click of a mouse.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Malkin

:omg:

Generally it is recommended to only change the image size once, because every time it happens you loose a little bit of the quality. I would be interested to know if there is an advantage to the method you described.

rjpjr

Bicubic -A slower but more precise method based on an examination of the values of surrounding pixels. Using more complex calculations, Bicubic produces smoother tonal gradations than Nearest Neighbor or Bilinear.

Bicubic Smoother - A good method for enlarging images based on Bicubic interpolation but designed to produce smoother results.

These are descriptions as presented via Adobe.

The method that I described is not my own, but was taught to me at a Photoshop conference in Indy a couple of years ago. The price of attending the conference was returned 10 times over by learning this single technique. The Key to successful enlargements is the percentage of increase. Anything larger than the 110% and artifacts and noise are introduced.

jasonx

I do the same thing as ripjr but at 105% record it as an action and just hitting play action to get it to the size you want.

vroongraphics

check out Corbin Graphics website....they have software that will do the trick...if in the US, google the software to find out where to buy....

mark in tx

You can also try making a new document to the size you need, then place the image, and manually enlarge it to the size, then complete the place.

Works pretty well sometimes.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You can also try making a new document to the size you need, then place the image, and manually enlarge it to the size, then complete the place.

Works pretty well sometimes.

Get PhotoZoom Pro or Alien Skin Blow Up and do it properly. There is no technique in Photoshop or PhotoPaint or whatever that even comes close to what these proprietary packages can do.

m.hafenbrack

Bob's right. My college professor taught me the 110% bi-cubic smoother technique, and it works nice for some things, but the quality still doesn't compare to Alien Skins blow Up tool. Plus its a heckofalot faster.

visualeyez

What you need is a 10' x 10' graphic at 72Ppi, which is 8,640 x 8,640 pixels. A standard 8x10 photo can be scanned in at 600 Ppi (if LAB printed), which enlarged gives you 4,800 x 3,600 Ppi, or mare than half of what you need. I would scan it into potoshop, accepting my scanners Srgb color profile, convet it to LAB color, then convert to Adobe RGB. Now enlarge it, then calibrate levels and color to the accomodate your printer. If it is implemented into vecotor graphics, I save files at 1/10 scale at 720dpi and embed into and upscale 100% in the vector software.
As a side note on photo enlargement and pixel interprolation, I was taught to always expand at ratios of 200%, this way the algorithm will (for instance) hopefully place a 50% gray pixel between a white and a black pixel, rathern than converting one to the other. Then once your image is larger than desired, you can let the RIP sort everything out to print at the proper DPI.

-Keith