Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Entry level hybrid UV printer

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by bigben, Dec 4, 2019.

1. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I've got a friend of mine that is looking for a hybrid printer with specifications similar to the Mimaki UCJV series. Something that would be similar in speed with white and clear ink. The rigid substrat will be mostly acrylic, dibond and coroplast.

The first model coming in mind is the Roland LEJ-640, but the model is getting old and I'm sure there are other options on the market.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet Printer Fixers

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I don't have a solution for you but will tell you to stay away from the LEJ. I have only heard problem about them and they use old DX4 heads which were never meant for UV specifically.

3. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I've had the same feedback. This is why I'm looking for another option.

4. DSGI

DSGI Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Kent, WA
    We have a CET Q5-1000H, it's been a love/hate relationship with the machine, but we've now figured out how to keep it running in perfect condition all the time and we love it again! Depending on the budget you could look at getting a 64-inch wide version (Q5-250H) or one of the larger options. If you won't be printing at least 6 hours a day every day or more then you will probably have issues with the CET as it doesn't sit very well... Also, you need to do preventative maintenance diligently to ensure it keeps working correctly.

5. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I too looked at the Roland, but ended up going with the Fuji Acuity LED1600. So far it has been great! It has its limits being pinch fed, but has done what I needed it to do so far.

6. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I'm not sure which specifications you're looking for, but Agfa's Annapurnas are a decent mid-level flatbed printers & Agfa's support was outstanding in my experience.

7. Sindex Printing

Sindex Printing Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Sparks
    We have the Mutoh 1638uh. It was a very temperamental piece of equipment when we first got it and took about 9 months of working with Axiom and Mutoh to to get it running correctly. Once it got fixed and dial in with profiles it prints great. I would definitely no buy another hybrid printer. From this experience I would buy a true flatbed style printer. Even finding a solid used or refurbished printer. If you have any questions on the Mutoh 1638uh feel free to reach out and I will answer any questions you may have about in with zero sales pitch bs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    EFI Pro 16H is a great hybrid printer. We have it and the Pro 24F. Cost will be higher than some of the other units mentioned but no issues with mine.

9. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    do you have an idea of the price for the pro 16H? Also, did you had any problem with ink adhesion on acrylic for reverse prints?

10. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I am not sure of current pricing my guess would be $125,000 range. I print acrylic all the time no issues. We also run custom shapes on acrylic and route on a Zund and ink adheres fine using the 3M ink it came with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Patrick Dasilva

Patrick Dasilva New Member

Friday
    USA
    Hey Adam, We're looking to buy a flatbed and the EFI machines are on top of our list, we currently have an HP latex, is the 24F a good choice? Let me know your thoughts.

12. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Patrick-
    I think they are great machines. We were part of the early adopter for the 24f and had the first machine out. I would definitely buy another.

13. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    HP are selling their FB500 for like 60k until they run out, great unit for cheap.

14. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    And when they run out in about a year or two there will be no service or parts available for them. I would stay clear of them.

15. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    They will service and part them until 2027.