• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Environmentally Friendly Print Media, with Adhesive... Please Recommend!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
According to Californians you can drink all inks, except yellow. It's true, it's true. I read that on the info sheet.
Must be leaded yellow cuz unleaded is plss in a can. They're after white now because of titanium dioxide. I'll die from bad habits before pvc and solvents get me.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

DUPONT TYVEK BANNER​

This eco-friendly banner material has great image quality, smooth matte finish resistant banner. Tyvek® is made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which is 100% recyclable and accepted at most local recycling facilities.​

I wouldn't eat it but if you rolled it up and threw it at a wind turbine it would most likely break down pretty good.

In the large format world it is not available. the problem is even though you use a environmentally stock the ink is toxic and does not degrade quick enough. Years ago, we actually printed on a banner material with claims and even though the banner material would degrade the ink on the banner would not and they went out of business because of it and were sued by several companies and environmental agencies. You only hope would be to find and offset printer who can print with food safe organic vegetable inks on paper. But that might not fit you customers application as there are size and material constraints.

signsnyc

Hello! We have a customer that would like to promote an 'environmental campaign' that they are working on - however would not like to use vinyl for their stickers and signage... any recommendations for eco-friendly materials?

Ideally they would like everything (or most) to be recyclable as well - if possible...

Does anyone have experience with a print media like this?
We have an eco-solvent printer.

Thank you in advance!
you can use bamboo, aluminum, and cardboard.

RMarshall

DUPONT TYVEK BANNER​

This eco-friendly banner material has great image quality, smooth matte finish resistant banner. Tyvek® is made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which is 100% recyclable and accepted at most local recycling facilities.​

I wouldn't eat it but if you rolled it up and threw it at a wind turbine it would most likely break down pretty good.
I've actually been looking for a somewhere to buy printable Tyvek - do you have a source?

Grimace has Magic's tyvek banner but it's for aqueous printing so its expensive af.

RMarshall

We use Sihl's 3683 self-adhesive paper and paper-based display board for 'biodegradable' displays.
3683 is a headache to run on our HP 560 but it should work great on eco-sol.

There are lots of different paper-based boards - Converd, Bulldog Board (Grimco has a version called 'Eco Display Board' but I hate the quality of it), Falcon Board, Eagle Cell.

A couple companies make pvc-free banner material but they're usually prohibitively expensive.
The cheapest one I've found Grimco's Duratex Eco Banner but its only in 54" and 1236" rolls, and I dont think it can be heat welded.

You could maybe use a pvc-free sa film like 3M's Envision line or polypropylene for stickers but most of them are expensive and/or dont work well for stickers.

You could probably just outsource the stickers to someone who could print them digitally and still make good.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Yes, I do realize that. but really, what's a cake but a small temporary sign? If a lady with a cricut can letter cars from her kitchen - why not piece together some printed edible paper to save the environment?

ok, I'll stop now. :p
Why's it have to be a lady with a Cricut? Can't a guy buy a Cricut? What I mean is, can't a guy give a lady the money to go to JoAnn Fabrics and buy him a Cricut so as not to arouse suspicion? (I'm going to regret using that word).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why's it have to be a lady with a Cricut? Can't a guy buy a Cricut? What I mean is, can't a guy give a lady the money to go to JoAnn Fabrics and buy him a Cricut so as not to arouse suspicion? (I'm going to regret using that word).

I'm all confused. :banghead: Your poor use of pronouns and insinuating particular groups to one thing or another is a gross misconduct against so many issues of today, which tug at our heartstrings. Like most other things these days, I didn't realize I was so into this stuff, til they told me I was. I love to learn new languages and changing english around seems appropriate. Cripes, I still can't wrap my head around global warming, yet, but they tell me it's real. Evidently, THOSE people don't follow the science....... or history.

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I was referring to a member on this forum who admitted to trying to do decals for the local police on her cricut in her kitchen. She was wondering where to get reflective material.

jochwat

Graphics Department
I'm all confused. :banghead: Your poor use of pronouns and insinuating particular groups to one thing or another is a gross misconduct against so many issues of today, which tug at our heartstrings. Like most other things these days, I didn't realize I was so into this stuff, til they told me I was. I love to learn new languages and changing english around seems appropriate. Cripes, I still can't wrap my head around global warming, yet, but they tell me it's real. Evidently, THOSE people don't follow the science....... or history.
All I follow is the taco truck, and that alone can be difficult. Stay in one place for a couple days, that's all I ask!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We started selling vinyl by the foot and yard for crafters a few years back and I can say there are definitely a good amount of dude crafters out there.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
How many houses have PVC and CPVC for their water supply lines? How many water mains are the same? You drink that right? Why are people worried about PVC in a sticker?