• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

enVision 750 - Tool Too High

derwin

Good afternoon everyone. Our enVision 750 was having a problem where the tool latch had eventually become stripped and worn out. We had to replace not just the tool latch but the entire carriage.

So we installed it ourselves and everything seemed to look okay, but random problems started to crop up, most notably an issue with the Z axis. At first it sounded like the tool cylinder was smacking into the ceiling of the shaft whenever it lifted the blade to move to another area on the job, like a light click-click-click sound. This was after we calibrated the new carriage by way of the system menu. However there was an issue with the new carriage where it was unable to spring the tool back up all the way when it was pushed down and we had to have it replaced immediately.

After we installed the new one (where the springback seems to be slightly improved), the plotter is now extremely picky about what it wants to lower the tool for. It looks like the entire tool is about 1/16" too high on every job I send out. (Windows XP, Omega Composer 1.56) The plotter pretends to cut the vinyl but no contact is being made. When I send out the plotter's built-in test cut pattern, naturally that works just fine. Not sure what to do.

Here's a corn dog for anyone who can figure it out: :corndog:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I replaced the carriage assembly on my Envision 375 once and all went smoothly so I can't be a lot of help. Only two things come to mind ...

I recall that the insertion of the flat cable into the receptacle for it was kind of dicey with the possibility of getting it in upside down or not all the way. Doubt that is it but you might want to recheck it.

More likely, is your plotter firmware up to date? I know there was an upgrade to the Envision 375 that fixed some bugs. You might want to check to see what the latest is for the 750 and update it if it needs it.

derwin

Thanks for the reply Fred. I went straight to Gerber's website to their Downloads section, and found a Rev. H01 firmware upgrade for the enVision series. Loaded it up on my PC, and wouldn't you know it, the eagle has landed. And by "eagle" I mean "knife tool". Hopefully optimistic that it stays this way. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

P.S. I don't think this plotter has had its firmware upgraded since 2000.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As my Mrs. has been known to say ... "Fred, you might just get lucky". Happy to hear that fixed your problem.

derwin

I may have spoken too soon. The same things are happening again, this time with a large job. The blade is hovering mere millimeters above the vinyl, and then giving me a "Z Axis Overload" when the job finishes or I cancel it. I remember the first time we tried to install the carriage one of the ribbon cables was in the way and gave us a different error. Just when I thought I had it figured out...some things seem to work, but not consistently.