• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

envision plotter cutting crisis

iSign

Has anyone encountered this problem with the Gerber Envision Plotter?

When weeding many of my repeat decal cuts lately, I'm encountering a bad spot in each decal, in the same area. The backing paper indicates that the plotter cuts fine 95% of the way & then changes to a more shallow depth, or weaker pressure in one section of the cut, creating the snags.

At first i thought of the teflon strip & ordered one... but after changing it, my last file had several repeats of a decal in a row between the sprockets, and the weaker or shallower cut was in the same spot on the contour each time, which puts it over several different spots on the teflon... but the same exact spot on the contour, which rules out the teflon in my opinion.

I sent the same cut file to my Graphtec and it cut perfect, ruling out a problem w/ the file. The blade looks fine & the 95% of the file without troubles weeds fine.

This is a real crisis, because I have 1000 small decals to produce soon & need this machine to work.

Any ideas?

Jillbeans

Just thinking out loud, since I only ever had a 4B and 4E but not an Envision (sigh)
My plotter did something similar when it it needed a good cleaning.
Where the rubber roller was, sometimes a tiny little bit of vinyl from the perforations would stick and cause a problem.
However, maybe an Envision doesn't even have a rubber roller?
What about a theta belt problem?
Hope you get it figured out, I know this is a frustrating problem.
Love....Jill

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
like signage, i would suggest a quick clean on everything....also, are all the cables connected fully...maybe cut information isn't sending properly...

do you only have the problem when sending long repeat cut runs? or do you have the problem with smaller single jobs?

CES020

Do you have another new blade to try? I know you said it looks fine, but the issue may be so small it's not visible.

Have you tried another blade? Just critical pathing it through here. If it does the same thing with a new blade, then that would for certain rule out the blade.

Just thinking out loud....

daveb

General Know-it-all
Did you use the same software to send to the Envision and the Graphtec? I once had to spend 3 hours recreating a Gerber file from scratch for output to our router one night because there was a "Glitch" that affected the entire file. Every shape in that file would cut exactly 1/4'' larger than it was in Composer:banghead: Nothing worked and I finally had to gave up an recreated it. If this was an Omega file I would start with a fresh file, reassign the contour and try it again. Do you have another output program you can use to cut to the Envision? As usual a lot of variables and so little time. Good Luck!:popcorn:

iSign

I used Omega to send the same file to both the envision & the graphtec. I probably could find another way to send cuts to the envision, but I'm not sure if there is another way (among my available software) to line up to my registration targets on edge prints.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A couple of things to try. First the obvious ones ...

1. Close the job and delete the PRM file. Re-output from Composer and send from GSPPlot.

2. Check for anything visually odd when it is cutting.

3. Try a new blade.

4. Save as a SPL file and try it from there.

Now the less obvious ...

5. Remove the plastic tool carriage cover and try again, in case anything is rubbing.

6. While you have it off, look down into the center of the carriage and check that the screw in the top of the Z axis motor is tight. BE CAREFUL NOT TO MESS WITH IT VERY MUCH. Just use your fingertip. It has factory set adjustments as to its position. If the screw is loose or if you turn the motor, that adjustment is lost and very screwy cutting can result. Ask me how I know and how I spent two hours yesterday installing and calibrating my new $1200 tool carriage?

Nothing else comes to mind.

Last edited:

GB2

Old Member
I wish I could offer some advice but I've never experienced that problem. The only thing I can suggest, after you follow Fred's sage advice, is don't hesitate to call Gerber Technical Service before the weekend. It's been my experience that there is no finer group of technicians who will do everything to work with you to help you solve your problem.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I wish I could offer some advice but I've never experienced that problem. The only thing I can suggest, after you follow Fred's sage advice, is don't hesitate to call Gerber Technical Service before the weekend. It's been my experience that there is no finer group of technicians who will do everything to work with you to help you solve your problem.

I would add to that and say talk to KIP at Advantage tech support. He was very helpful with my carriage replacement. If you need his email or extension ... PM me.

DarbySign

What you are describing has been such a persistent problem with my Envision, I've gotten into the habit off adding extra cut lines just in the shallow spots. Do a test cut and find the areas that don't cut well, then draw some extra cut lines over just those spots.

I've brought the envision back to Gerber twice with this problem. Even when completely cleaned, with a fresh blade and cut strip the problem persists. I assumed that it was because the envision was showing its age.

David Wright

So Gerber doesn't know how to correct or fix this either? I just bought a used Envision and have seen this shallow cut problem occasionally. It seems to happen on some of the older thicker Oracal 651 vinyl and not on cast vinyl.
Don't know why.

iSign

I would add to that and say talk to KIP at Advantage tech support. He was very helpful with my carriage replacement. If you need his email or extension ... PM me.

Almost forgot to report back...

Kip from Advantage is in fact the guy who resolved this & in my case it was a worn bearing inside the 8 year old tool holder. The bearing is like a ring up inside the holder that the cylindrical blade is inserted into. This bearing should grab hold of the blade with enough force to support the weight of the holder, so if you hold only the blade tip, the holder should not fall...

...but in my case the holder would not be supported by the tension from the bearing on the blade, therefore identifying the problem of a little slop in the blade/holder connection, that translates to a less responsive instant at the orgin & completion of each contour as the tool holder begins to follow the prescribed movement, but the blade doesn't grab & begin (or stop) doing it's job at the precise instant that it should.

The new holder was $150 & included a blade. It completely resolved the problem.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
That's interesting and didn't occur to me. I'm on my third blade holder in 12 years, but what has always been the reason for replacement was a failure of the same bearing you are talking about but with an opposite set of symptoms. What it would do would be to resist turning freely causing the blade not to swivel and make some awful noises on curves and 90 degree turns.

Glad you got it straightened out.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Yeah Kip!!!!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: (just in case he ever looks at this). I've had the pleasure of talking to him several times over the years for Sabre problems, didn't know he was a plotter guru too.