• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epilog laser cutting question (again)

Wowee18

Has anyone successfully cut .5" clear acrylic on one of these machines? I think we need to do a 2 pass cut on it but haven't found the perfect settings to get perfect results (every) time. Need to be able to cut dimensional letters.

Thanks in advance!

Mark in West Mich. :thankyou:

CES020

How many watts do you have? 45W will just cut through it and it's slow. You need 60W or more to cut it, really more into the 100W to make it worth doing.

If not, it's cheaper to have them cut by Gemini.

Wowee18

We slow it way down to about 6 at full power and 5k freq. but its not clean on the bottom side. Sharp angles tend not to go through all the way. Even after we set the focus down into the material a touch.

CES020

You might try dropping the frequency back to 1000 or less and seeing if that fixes your problems. Part of the problem it sounds like you are having is remelt. If your air assist is just the air sweep across the top of the work, it's not ejecting the debris through the cut like a nose cone type air assist would do, where the beam shoots through the air assist nose cone.

I'd think you should be able to cut much faster than 6% with that kind of wattage. How far into the material are you focusing?

Wowee18

We focus down to almost the halfway point of the piece. We are getting OK results but not quite good enough of our pickier customers.

We're thinking about getting the 4" cone lens as it gives a better focal range and the air goes straight down through the cut.

CES020

That would serve you better, I think. The 4" will get that extra focal length as well as the cone air assist will get you good evacuation of the debris.