• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

.eps file problem

Marlene

I work with designers from all over who send me files. Every now and then I get one that is so messed up, I have no idea what's wrong. I'm working with a guy who designed a banner with .tiff and some copy. sounds pretty easy, but I can't get him to save an .eps file that I can open. I'm using Gerber Omega software to open the file. I don't have Illustrator and have opened tons of these types of files from others with no problems. He is using Illustrator (on a Mac), what should I be telling him to do to save the file correctly? I did the usual turn text to curves, don't embed instructions and so on. He said he saved it as a native file, since I don't run Illustrator, I'm not sure of his save options, any ideas? thanks

iSign

if he's on CS1 it may be slightly more complicated to "save down" like it was with the PC version... but in any other version he can save down to illustrator 6. (just "export to legacy .ai)

That is what kind of illustrator files I open in Omage every day. I never try to include the .tiff though.

I wouldeither have him include the .tiff as a seperate file (& a .jpg to show placement of the vector work over the .tiff)

...or if I planned to output as a 4 color process print, I would have him take the image up to full size in illustrator & then export it all as a .tiff (at 300 dpi)

Craig Sjoquist

not sure here maybe more facts will help .... ? ..what version Illustrator ..set to lower.... ? ..setting for PC to read at his end .....? ..is he saving n transfering correctly ..........thank you n enjoy life

Marlene

I had him put the file on a CD as it's massive. When I try to open it in Omega, it says loading screen image (file name with a number) and keeps doing that up to around in the sixties. What is that? Thanks shovelhead for the offer to try to open the file for me, it's just way too big to e-mail. I did ask him to save the entire file as a 300 res .tiff at at least 25% of the final size. One banner is a 10' x 10' and the other is a 3' x 5'. He said the file was to big to save. Not sure why his file is so large as it really isn't overly complicated, it's a picture of a Harley with some copy about a promo to give it away. thanks so much for the help!

thewood

If you are gonna rasterize it anyways, you can open it in Photoshop. Photoshop will often open newer versions of Illustrator. I have PS 7 and can open Illy CS2 files that CS1 won't open.

Replicator

Marlene,

See if he can save the file as a .CMX file, might be handled better by Omega,
as I have had the same issues with Signlab and the .CMX file works every time !

iSign

if you are printing it on the edge, you will be running 11-1/2" panels anyway, so have the huge file cut down to12" sections with a 1" overlap.

I would also still want to preserve the vector artwork if he has the text in vectors, so lose the bike photo from the .ai files & they will be tiny... then for the bike... if he will use the same image for both banners... & no other images... you just need one bike image to rebuiils this job. But again... that bike can be cropped several times into 12" slices.

Marlene... honestly... BUY THE ADOBE SUITE!! You are far to professional to bang your head against problems like this for years... spend $900 & you will be able to load this software at home also & design at home & have better communication with both clients & vendors when it comes to file exchange issues.

ChicagoGraphics

Marlene.....You know anyone thats in college? If so you can let them to buy you the CS2 suite for around 400.00, everything included