• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EPS File Will Not Open

choucove

I could use your advise and your help!

We recently received an EPS file of a logo that we need to work on in an email, but we are unable to open the EPS file for some reason, never had a problem with it before! We have tried to open the EPS file in Flexi Expert v8.0 and in Illustrator CS3, and neither program will open it, stating it is an unsupported file.

Any ideas? Would this have been created on a newer version of software and we can't get it open for some reason? Is there some way of converting this file to another that we can open?

Thanks again for your time and help!

wes70

Sounds like the file was designed in another program and saved as an eps. Could they send it to you as a pdf?

tanneji

One trick that occasionally works for us is to create a new document in illustrator and drag the eps in question from the windows explorer into that new document. Sometimes if illy says it cant open it, it can you just have to make it. Anyway, there should be a box with an x across it and then click "embed" up at the top to make it appear. Good luck!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
EPS files often get corrupt in emails. Maybe have the sender zip it first and resend. Also as mentioned it could be saved as too new of a version

Sign to Go

Sometimes in Illy I have been able to "place" a file rather than import or open with some success from newer version files.

Jim

c-leb

the Vec Doc is right .eps files often get corrupted depending on what happens during conversion... you may need to have it re-sent, and if so ask for native files (less chance for corrupt just make sure its in your current version of CS) since vector art is generally small enough to email... Or... try using distiller... sometimes it will recover files, then re-save as an .eps from Acrobat... just a suggestion

choucove

Thank you everyone for your help on this! We attempted to import it or place it into AI and it still would not work, only the message that the file type is not supported. The person that sent it to us said himself that he could not get the file to open, so the initial designer probably just needs to save it again and zip it or save it with another format type. We will see if we can get it re-sent to us that way!

Thank you again very much, just wasn't sure if I was doing something dumb.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Try opening the file in a text editor such as WordPad. If it is an Illustrator EPS it will have a plain English header. If it is a bunch of code then it is probably an image file that someone just changed the extension on.