• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EPS files from illy to corel

CentralSigns

I have been having a day with a designer. Please help me understand as we don't use adobe products. Corel X5 and Signlab8 are our software programs so we don't speak illy. I have a designer I keep telling to save from Illy to version 3 or older convert all fonts to curves, collapse all layers and save as a eps or ai file type. Am I saying the right things to her to get a workable eps or ai file cause she keeps sending me uneditable bitmaps. When I go to assign cut lines all i have is a bitmap. Is there some speak I am missing? Confused what to add to this request?

WildWestDesigns

It seems like they dont know what is going on. I completely understand what you are talking about. Even though I use both now, I would have understood you when I was working only in Ai.

CentralSigns

Print and cut. I am assigning cut lines myself in Corelx3 from the eps or ai file. Usually isn't a problem but this designer can't get it right today.

RobbyMac

I dont think layers are an issue if saving to eps. it will put all shapes onto one layer. They may be interpreting 'collapse all layers' as some form of flattening? Assuming the art has vector of some form within it anyways.
They should be able to save to v8.0 safely. With x3 I sometimes have issues importing 9 or later, but 8 always does the trick.

or get the illy file and see if someone here can convert it for you (Though that doesn't help you with future conversions)

Northern Design

Northern Design Graphics
Have them save the file with out compression in the export/save as box---huge problem for the rest of the world who dont use illy

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have a little good news for you. SignLab 8 will import a naitive Illustrator file darn near 100% perfectly. We use Illustrator CS5, and we do it all the time with very few hiccups. Just go to FILE>IMPORT and then select your Illy (.ai) file. Problem solved. It will prompt you about cutting thick outlines....just select "no" when that prompt comes up or it will cut on both sides of the line....making it appear to have cut the design twice.

Just remind your designer to convert text to curves, and you should be good to go.

JB