• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EPS files importing without color

chadalicious

I am trying to import EPS files into Omega 2.1 and all it imports is the outlines. No color on the outlines or anywhere else there is supposed to be color. I've tried just about every option when importing and still no color. I'd like to keep the color so I can print on the Edge FX.

Also, if it helps, the EPS files are created in Corel.

And lastly, I still can't get Omega to communicate with my Mimaki CG-160FX. It shows it as idle, even when I know it's not... and it won't let me query it.

Please help! :)

J Hill Designs

you have to set your colors up in omega...it doesnt know that 255 0 0 means intense red...

if you view - filled it will show color, they just wont be spot ribbon colors

chadalicious

if you view - filled it will show color, they just wont be spot ribbon colors

every time I view - filled all it shows is a white shape of whatever I imported... the file I am trying to import now is oval, so all I see when I view it filled is a white oval. Can I not import a file with colors? I set up colors in Omega on the last file I imported because it was a simple design. This current one is anything but simple and I don't know if Gerber does pantone colors...

iSign

What are your printing plans? Spot or process?
If spot, I don't know what you mean by "if Gerber does Pantone" because the only colors that matter are the spot foil colors you use... And as noted above, you will have to assign them from within Omega anyway...

That said, you certainly can import files with color, so there is something amiss for sure, if your color assignments are getting lost...

You sound new to Omega... and even to the FX, is that the case? If not, was this issue not there before & just cropped up?

I import .ai files into Omega every day, and although I have to reassign foil colors, I use the select-by-color feature to change all blue contours at once, all reds at once, etc... I almost never leave "strokes" in my designs, and will outline them instead...

iSign

every time I view - filled all it shows is a white shape of whatever I imported... the file I am trying to import now is oval, so all I see when I view it filled is a white oval. Can I not import a file with colors? I set up colors in Omega on the last file I imported because it was a simple design. This current one is anything but simple and I don't know if Gerber does pantone colors...

Could I be just a layers issue? Move the oval to back... Or check the select menu, and choose spot, or process to see if other colors are recognized, that might be behind a white oval.

J Hill Designs

or yeah if your eps has stroke colors assigned, they import twice in omega...(one directly on top of the other...one line for the fill, and one for the stroke data

I usually select -> open shapes, as stroke data lines are usually unclosed

chadalicious

What are your printing plans? Spot or process?

Because all the colors in Corel are PMS colors, I was going to try to run these as process.

jhilldesigns... the lines are red, and there are no strokes with color...

Yes, I am new to Omega and the Edge machine. I was hired into a position to take over a commercial department where the last few employees just pretty much moved the shop from one location to the other and then quit and left after that, so I am left on my own to figure all this stuff out. I probably wouldn't think twice about the edge or Omega if our Mimaki JV5-160S was currently running... but because it's not, we are trying to do the small jobs on the Edge instead of outsourcing. I CANNOT wait to get it back up and going... we are waiting for a room to be moved and cleaned out so we a have a good clean room to run the printer in, and the neon guy that currently occupies the room is taking his sweet ol' time moving his crap out. Don't you all envy my position? ;)

Marlene

did you make the original file or was it sent to you by a customer? if there are PMS colors assigned, it will print them and will also print whatever was assigned even if it isn't a Pantone color. only problem is there is no way to tell what the color should look like if it isn't a Pantone.

if the file was sent to you, do you have the spec's? if so, assign the colors as spec'd out and try that.

J Hill Designs

maybe pantone colors import wrong? output the file as eps from corel but check the box convert spot colors to process in the advanced tab as a step?

edit: nope

chadalicious

ugh. it has to be a software issue somewhere. I just made a simple shaped file with CMYK colors and they still imported as white shapes. someone shoot me now. I'm starting to despise Omega!

iSign

Because all the colors in Corel are PMS colors, I was going to try to run these as process.

In that case, go back to Corel.. if there is a contour cut line that is not a simple circle or rectangle easily recreated in omega...

save an .eps file of the cut line only.

then export the full color artwork as a .tif file, and import that, assign process color, import your cut line & assign no fill, no stroke.. register the 2, and away you go... very simple. Almost EVERY full color print I've done on the edge in 10 years has been done this way!

J Hill Designs

OK heres what the imported eps looks like in omega - and what it looks like from illy - the real problem is you have to recreate your gradient in omega...but on the other prob, colors imported just fine on my end...

what I would do for 1 is convert the black outline to curves, make the inner oval white, reexport, import into omega, set the white oval with a gradient created in omega, select different fills (by select -> process colors -> fills) and assign spot colors to the elements...if you are printing as process, it should be ready to go though

Attachments

• gradissue.jpg
    gradissue.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 6inch oval.jpg
    6inch oval.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 77

J Hill Designs

but I would suggest starting VERY simple to get the learning process started (ie black text on a red box or something extremely simple)

J Hill Designs

hmm so yeah i got his file, sent an eps back to him that opens fine in my omega (1.56) all colors there etc, but when he opens it all shapes are white...something going on with omega...the .plt file I created and sent to him opened correctly on his end...

I'm stumped

iSign

I still say import a .tif for process printing...
why wouldn't you?

no contours you don't need... no gradients, no layers... nothing to fubar..
just unflappable pixels!

Tony Teveris

Omega 2.1 had it's issues, Corel has it's issue when generating EPS/AI files but I can not think what they were. For Omega 2.1 I think the highest EPS/AI version was 8.

Also try exporting as CMX 5.0 and importing

Time to upgrade Omega, 2.1 is old