• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson 10K Head Rank info

Jager

Gday good sirs,

I have an Epson 10K I've converted to run Sepiax inks. So far so good. I'm using future RIP VMX software to modify profiles. I've added two heaters, one a 2" x 40" silicon strip, I've heated the grit roller and added a 50 watt halogen lamp to the carraige to cure the ink. Anyways my question(s) are... Can I use heads from a 10600 on my 10K, they are both using DX4 heads, and how do I set the head ranking on a 10K?

Thanks for your input,

Harl

jhanson

Most Epson printers had the head ranks set using a special service utility. I'm not sure if the one for the Epson 10000 is still available, but you may be able to check with an independent Epson dealer to find out.

I discovered there are only a limited number of head ranks for those heads anyway. The number that's hand-written on the circuit board apparently is to tell the factory installers which head uses which rank. And, for the most part, the head ranks really are interchangeable (although print quality MAY vary if you have a head rank that is way off from the head).

The more important impact on print quality is the alignment of the heads. Do you know how to align the heads (mechanical and electronic) in that machine?

I doubt you will have any issues using any Epson 10000/10600 heads in that machine. Just make sure that they're the water based heads.

Robert M

Those head ranks

Ok to use the 10600 heads in the 10000. The 10000 are no longer made so they may be harder to find
PM me for info on those head ranks

jhanson

You can still buy Epson 10000 heads from any Epson dealer, provided that you give them the serial number of your machine. I believe they will limit the total number of heads you can purchase in a given year, but even if you need to replace all the heads, there are only 3 in the machine. The part number that you order is actually the carriage assembly, with 3 heads, CR board and dampers pre-installed.

Compass Micro is a pretty knowledgeable Epson dealer up in the Pacific Northwest.

randallbuck1

Epson Running Sepiax Inks

Hi Harl, I have to post a question for you because I haven't heard of anyone else running Sepiax inks in an Epson. I want to do the same thing with a GS6000. In theory, this should work due to the 3 heaters on the machine. My big hurdle is replacing the cartridges with a 3rd party set that can be filled with Sepiax ink. There are many companies overseas that appear to offer this solution but none here in the US so I don't know which to trust. Of course any advice you or anyone else may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you....

jhanson

The GS6000 is extremely locked down; I presume there are many Asian suppliers working on that but I haven't seen any working solutions yet. You will also have to make sure that the remnants of the Epson inks are completely flushed out of the lines (using Epson solvent flush) before introducing SEPIAX ink or flush, otherwise you will have to go and change out all the dampers and manually flush out the lines (trust me, that is a total pain).

If you chat with the techs over at Graphics One they should be able to provide you some more information on doing SEPIAX conversions.