• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson 11800 VS 9900

S

Stan B

We are looking to buy the Ultimate Water Based Printer.

I'm considering 2 options, and can't distinguish which is more advanced and a better printer. Any ideas will help.

1. Epson 11800, it has specs different from Option 2 as:

Thin Film Piezo (TFP) ink jet
9-cartridge (C, LC, VM, VLM, Y, LK, LLK, PK and MK)
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta ink technology

2. Epson 9900

ink jet print head
11-cartridge (O, G, C, Lc, VM, VLm, Y, Lk, LLk + PK or MK)
Professional-level pigment-based ink Epson UltraChrome HDR

So the differences in heads description (TFP Ink Jet VS Ink Jet Print Head), Ink set (9 color VS 11), and ink name (UltraChrome K3 VS UltraChrome HDR)

which will be better as far as print quality and color gamut?

artbot

go to this site and read for a couple of hours. all but the the most loyal epsonian hangers-on have remained defenders of epson lfp's . canon has them up against the ropes with the ipf line. less maintanence, less ink, lower cost, better user experience. it may be against your religion but the printer gods will forgive you (they have switched to canon's too).

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

S

Stan B

Epson heads are 3.5pc and canon is 4. Also epson says it can lay down up to 3 variable dot sizes in every pass (not sure if canon does the same)

Any feedback on original question?

artbot

you are quoting brochures. a brochure is propaganda/specs'. i had a very cool client one day say just one line to me that changed my life "run it like a business". such simple logic.

an epson lfp is a less profitable printer than a canon over time. if it comes down to a tiny square inch gradient where a light cobalt blue transitioned to a cornflower blue 4% better, than epson is your machine. but remember to hand a loop to each of your clients and point out that square inch and explain to them that the little spot costs you thousands of dollars every year in depreciation, ink, head aches, down time, cleanings. the client will tell you, "i can't see the difference". smack them in the head and exclaim "blasphemy! get out of my print studio!"

epson has one advantage amongst all the disadvantages, it can run thin rigid material.

S

Stan B

I understand your point and use it my self day to day on investments that are investmnets. With this printer though we are buying our selfs a toy, and looking for advice what would be the ultimate highest quality. The cost of either epson or canon with all the maintanance is drop in the bucket here and (i'm sorry but) my question was about quality between two, not the economy aspect.

you are quoting brochures. a brochure is propaganda/specs'. i had a very cool client one day say just one line to me that changed my life "run it like a business". such simple logic.

an epson lfp is a less profitable printer than a canon over time. if it comes down to a tiny square inch gradient where a light cobalt blue transitioned to a cornflower blue 4% better, than epson is your machine. but remember to hand a loop to each of your clients and point out that square inch and explain to them that the little spot costs you thousands of dollars every year in depreciation, ink, head aches, down time, cleanings. the client will tell you, "i can't see the difference". smack them in the head and exclaim "blasphemy! get out of my print studio!"

epson has one advantage amongst all the disadvantages, it can run thin rigid material.

ProColorGraphics

I love my Canon iPF8300!! And you can get them for under $3k from Lexjet. You can also get a free iPad2 with the purchase too right now.