• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson 4800Pro Printer conversion from sublimation back to standard inks?

cartoad

We have the Epson 4800 that we have used for sublimation for the last 3 years, but have been going away from doing much sublimation work. The inks are getting low, so rather than spend $800 plus for a new sublimation ink set I would like to convert back to regular epson inks. The amount of limited amount of sublimation work I do, I would rather send it out or send the few orders to the trophy shop for it.
My question has anyone converted back to the regular inks for this printer after using it for sublimation? We went thru two sets of ink, one large cartridge set, and one small cartride set in two years, and I think most of the ink was used in cleaning to keep the heads from clogging up.

I don't know what we will use the printer for, but do get some requests for flyers occassionaly that would be a better use than the 54" printer.
thanks,
Hal

Robert M

Ink change

Do a nozzle check and make sure your heads are good. Swap out the carts and do a power clean. Continue until the dye sub ink is gone, just hope you don't fill the maintenance tank with all the cleaning. Are you currently running it as an 8 color set up or CMYK twice? Out of the box they are set up for 8 color. These inks are all mostly water so it should flush out.

cartoad

Thanks for the advice, will do that. will check as I still have the original cartriges, will shake the daylights out of them!

noregrets

Should be fairly easy

We have done it the other way, and it didnt take much - just a handful of power cleans did the trick.