• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Epson 7800 Fast Jumbo 2 convert to UV

Adam_G_

Hi everyone, In our company we have Epson 7800 Fast jet jumbo 2, old printer but still working, and we have idea to convert it to 2XCMYK. First Cmyk will by normal pigment ink, but second CMYK we plan to supply UV ink, and add UV lamp to carriage. How are You thinking, this idea is may working? We plan instal two RIP's software to use UV inks, and normal pigment inks. I will be grateful for all ideas and advice. Regards.

FrankW

It is not as easy as just mounting an UV-Lamp to the carriage. You need space in the printer on the left and right side for the UV-lamps (so that the carriage can run the common distances), you need to have ink tubes and damper which blocks light (so that the inks are not cured due to sunlight), and if the ink does not have the same characteristics than the ink the printer is build for, you will have a lot of work to make that thing working reliable.

kanini

If you have a lot of spare time and not need the printer to be working again I'd say go for it. But it will be an expensive pain to get right inks, lines, pumps, heads, filters, lamps and so on. Then issues with electronics and drivers/RIP:s etc. If you somehow get it to work then you'd probably have a nightmare with color consistency and profiling. You could as well build a new UV printer from scratch and keep the Epson running as it is. Good luck and don't let me bring your project ideas down, if you plan to go ahead though, let us know and be sure to document your progress!:)

netsol

we have concerted several rolands from aqueous to eco solvent
also have an epson 9880 that was converted to dye sublimation (not by us)
i have followed threads discussing this type of conversion, but, even though i don't normally exhibit a lot of common sense, i have held off on this type of conversion

assumung all goes well, you have 2 limitations, when you are done
24" maximum size & it will be awfully slow

i wish you all the luck in the world, and would like to follow your progress on this

we have quite a. few epsons "in progress" PM me if you need a few parts donated to the effort