• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson 9890 Print head DX6

adamfromayr

Hi ALL

If anyone is familiar please let me know about the DX6 Epson 9890 printhead

There is 5 x channels and the Middle two are totally blocked and the other 8 x nozzles all get liquid water through them

Does anyone know how the middle 2 x could have got that blocked? And the other 8 x are okay??

Bought it used and not working but its so close to being perfect but the

VLM & LK Dont print out anything

Im assuming the middle two are supposed to get ink through them?

Already left seeped in solution etc overnight

But the middle two appear totally blocked

£1,000 +++

to get a new head all cause 2 x are blocked :frustrated:

DSC04928.JPG

damonCA21

Sometimes it can just be completely random. It can also depend on the ink colour and brand used. Some colours are a lot more prone to blocking ( white is terrible for it ! ).
It can also be down to a head having a few badly blocked nozzles initially, and the owner tries repeated cleanings to clear it which just builds up more ink inside the head and blocks the other nozzles.
As an aside, never put water through epson heads!

As you are finding out, when printers with epson heads in are sold as being non working, there is normally very little chance of getting the head back working 100%. Leaving them standing for any length of time will block the nozzles. Sometimes you can get them back partially if the cleaning is done soon after the printer has stopped being used, but by the time the original owner has tried stuff, left it sitting, then stuck it up for sale it can be weeks or months with no use.

adamfromayr

Thanks so how do we prevent it from happening?

Seems to happen on every printer there is!

I think i need to spend a small fortune on new print heads and inks now

You can see the image nozzle check only the top and bottom of the VLM And LK Have a few lines

Its annoying the question i guess is do i need to buy a new head now?

Ive tried the pump, air, syringe but the head feels blocked nothing getting through, i wish there was a sure fire way that we could fix these pesky heads!

DSC04934.JPG

damonCA21

Well this is why people sell them as 'not working'. They aren't always completely honest about how long a printer has been sitting for, or just say 'it was printing fine before' Plus if they can't fit a head themselves, then the head cost plus getting a technician often makes it uneconomical.
Unless you actually see evidence of good test prints taken when it is for sale, assume it is going to need at least a new head to get it working properly.

adamfromayr

Damon no ones complaining ok it was sold as Non Working! Im good at fixing things and will fix it but trying to do it without buying a new head!

Im here asking for help

not moaning!

damonCA21

Yes I know, just pointing out that in most cases a non working printer cant have the head saved. Epson heads really hate not being in use regularly, so when buying a non working printer always assume the head is going to need replacing :)

damonCA21

And really the only way to stop it happening is for a printer to be in regular use, and left plugged in so it auto cleans up until the day you collect it. Sadly this rarely seems to happen

damonCA21

Also Epson never designed the heads to be a repairable item. For a print company they are a consumable item and you expect them to wear out and need replacing. One big company I used to tech for would change all the heads every 3 months as part of the service. Those printers were used about 12 hours a day 6 days a week though, and the cost of replacing the heads was less for them than having a couple of days of downtime with a printer not making them money.

adamfromayr

Ah okay so this head print attached above, you think that i will have to get a new head? i.e. its goosed?

i was wondering how it works as there is

10 x nozzles

9 x Inks installed

8 x Nozzle checks on printouts

Thats odd? as 2 x dont work the ones in the middle!

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
If you're working on Aqueous heads (9890), get a litre of Piezoflush from Inkjetmall.
If anything will revive the head, this will. Load it in a reusable cart, or feed it into lines. Soak the capping station in the stuff, and let it sit for a day or two, then repeat. print a grainger rainbow, to exercise all heads. rinse and repeat. I brought a 4800 (similar vintage) back to life that had sat unpowered and unloved in an airconditioned room, for Four Years.
If this fails, patient's prognocis is likely not good.
Inkjetmall's black Friday sale is on now.

adamfromayr

If you're working on Aqueous heads (9890), get a litre of Piezoflush from Inkjetmall.
If anything will revive the head, this will. Load it in a reusable cart, or feed it into lines. Soak the capping station in the stuff, and let it sit for a day or two, then repeat. print a grainger rainbow, to exercise all heads. rinse and repeat. I brought a 4800 (similar vintage) back to life that had sat unpowered and unloved in an airconditioned room, for Four Years.
If this fails, patient's prognocis is likely not good.
Inkjetmall's black Friday sale is on now.
Thanks Humble;) thats what i was looking for some constructive advice, so thank you

Ive already sat it in some cleaning fluid i wasn't sure how long so i will try that for a few days and will update after a few days

Im in the UK so not sure if i can get that specific fluid but will try the one ive got here, its nice to hear you got a vintage one working after 4 x years

I will be back in a few days time with an update, I did plan on doing a print like this attached i found on the internet that just prints the colours i need to work on

Many thanks for the reply just what i wanted to know
:)
8-channel-printer-a.jpg

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I buy the Piezography inks direct from the states, but I think they have an agent in France, who'll be likely to have slightly lower shipping costs (but is a bit of a nightmare to deal with). I've only got about 200ml left in stock for maintenace on a 7880 that we run purely for printing digital negatives (paltinum printing, and the like).
Jone and Cathy at Inkjetmall (also trading as Cone Editions and Piezography.com) are very helpful.