• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson F or Mutoh?

jddzigns

I hear benefits from both camps. Has anyone had real world experience with both?

Can't speak for the Mutoh but have an Epson F6070 for about 14 months. Arrived at our shop DOA – pump cap assembly needed to be replaced. About 6 month later, was getting false paper jam errors repeatedly. Turns out it was a bad carriage motor. About 6 months after that, was getting the same false paper jam errors again. Carriage motor again. I know of at least one other person who had the same false paper jam errors with an F series. Granted, you'll probably run into technical issues with any printer, but the same part failing twice within a year??? That's cause for concern.

Having said that, the F6070 performs admirably when it's up and running. Speed and quality are excellent.

If you got the Mutoh, let me know how you like it.

GoTeez

We bought the mutoh. It is awesome. Service has been great from Coastal Business. Rich Foltz was a huge help. If has been great for both our cut and sew business as well as our hard surface sublimation.

Atomic DNA

I am of the assumption that you are referring to the RJ-900 vs the F Series.

I have mixed feelings ons the F Series as a friend of mine beta tested one a couple of years back and was not impressed. He could also never achieve a dense black which is another thread altogether. A few searches will yield that there have been numerous issues surrounding this printer. His 900's work like a champ and have very few, if any problems. I have a few Epson 44" printers and they have performed "fairly" flawlessly other than the constant head cleaning and lack of being able to service it efficiently.

With that being said, our 1638WX is a beast and can handle anything you throw at it. Automatic head cleanings, ease of maintenance and being able to let it print all night long are great features. We just finished printing 1,200 singlets and had not one issue to complain about. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Mutoh.

Atomic DNA

What ink brand are you running in the Mutoh?

Robert, we are running Jteck, 8 colors. Running eight slows down printing speed a bit but we do quite a bit of aluminum substrates that require better tonal gradation so that helps.
For production, we have a couple of more printers coming our way shortly. One will be set up with dual CMYK and the other with fluorescents.

Jteck has been a great ink and there have been 0 problems. No problem with dense black, either.

SubliTWILL

I'm the friend with the MUTOH. 7 years next month and she's been a beast! Runs circles IMHO around the 44" Epson.

Running JTeck ink, Beaver paper, Wasatch RIP, all via Digi Heat rotary.