• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson GS600 vs. other printers

boxerbay

thanks for the quick reply

maybe the reformulated ink was delivered with your machine

when did you purchase the gs6000?

when you make a nozzle test does your green ink look bold or very light like it is diluted down

we have nozzle checks from 1 year ago that show a very noticeable difference in color only in the green ink but how can one compare the absolute green color of the machine

maybe by printing a linearization swatch and scanning to compare values

epson says that the carrier and the pigment have separated in the subtanks, which sounds obsurd, and that the green ink channel has to be flushed. we flushed the green ink channel and there was no difference.

reformulated ink? first i ever heard of this. do you have any links to refernce?

your problem i believe is onyx rip/profile and not epson printer. unless your rip/profile is using the green ink it will cause problems. not really fair to say if your rip or profile is not using the green ink or not laying it down properly that this is an epson issue.

we are running colorburst 9.31 and now 9.61 for more than a year and have not had a single issue with greens.

the old green issue you are trying to co-mingle with your current issue was due to rips not using the green ink enough. they were trying to repurpose old 6 color profiles to run 8 color machine. garbage in garbage out. colorburst stepped up and updated their RIP and included profiles to use more green and orange ink and it has resolved those old issues about green ink drying in the head.

colorbursts works closely with epson to put out updates to their software and to profiles. recently they also updated their backlit profile and wow it is very nice and bright now.

i know it is a big expense but maybe you might want to try colorburst.

sitsha

too all who care

a problem with the green ink does exist as per epson tech support.
those that print small jobs will never see it. We are using the green ink labeled lot number 04aa and the color is almost clear with just a little green tint.

we had a job that required a lot of green ink printing. in the middle of the job the green ink was replaced (because it was empty). The job was to wrap some green trucks. The first tiles that printed were ok but after the ink was replaced the tiles started shifting in color. (the green completely changed) as this is not noticeabe unless you print 2 tiles that have to be attached, a regular user of the epson gs-6000 would not even notice an issue if he didnt replace a green ink during a big tiled job.

this is NOT and onyx issue or rip issue at all. The values for the green that onyx has in their linearization table for the mactac 829 vinyl speed 2 were 50% darker than the ones that I have printed and scanned.

Epson's negligence and slow moving response to a critical problem has caused us to incur many expenses that could have been avoided. We hope they will do the right thing

GoodPeopleFlags

Epson GS6000 since Oct of 2009 and no problems. My desk is in the same room with it, 10' away, and there is no odor whatsoever, even when standing next to it. We haven't experienced the inks fading but we laminate anything that's going to be outside for more than 6 months. No takeup reel problems, either.

Happyprinter

Bluefish, what scrim are you using and what laminate on it? Have you had problems when the banners are rolled up after lamination. We tried to laminate but as soon as the customer rolled up the banner and then unrolled it there were, it looked like, seperation points in the folds themselves.

insigns

Does anyone know of a first hand experience wot a longevity issue with the Epson gs6000 inks? I hear a lot of rumors...

Cassel

Printer fun

-Epson GS6000 - the best price. The best printing quality?. Maybe not the most reliability, problems with ink duraction?
This printer prints well and is a work horse. Inks had a problem but after we added a separate ink system it works great for everything including wraps.

-Mimaki CJV30-160 - very much people speak me about their poor durability, problems with mother board, etc... don't know if this is true.
I used this 4 years ago. Solvents do reek. This printer liked to print random lines all the time too but it was old.

-HP L25500 - 60" - I think the print quality it's not the best, but there is different opinions about this. Cheap inks, but is the more expensive plotter of my list.
H.P. Horrible Printers, Horror Pictures...

-Rolands VS-640 - There is a good deal, but I never liked roland (I think it's the poor print quality and the more overrated plotter). I don't want white and metallic inks.
I thought this printer was very user friendly and easy to use for how small it is. Printed very nicely and fast. Versaworks was okay but froze alot. White and metalics are fun but unless you use them daily, don't bother. The expense and cleaning isn't worth it if you don't use them.

I discard the Mutoh Valuejet 1624, because I think is a good printer, but a have one of this, and want something new.
I used this printer a year ago. It is a workhorse but like the Epson, head-strikes are plentiful and seemingly unavoidable. My solution is to lift the rollers every 25 feet or so, spit in a can and face East.

boxerbay

Almost 6 years later and this GS6000 is still cranking out full rolls overnight without a problem. Only one head has failed and when the tech came he checked the usage and was surprised it lasted that long. A properly maintained machine will last a long long time.