• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson gs6000 and skeered

PromoGuyTy

Okay. So I've got my new EPSON GS6000 for about a month now. (Replaced a MUTOH Falcon). I LOVE the print quality and the speed. And as a low-production shop, I've got no issues with the media handling that a few others complain of.

I'm not a "printer tech" kind of guy...(I'm better at selling than actually printing)...but here are my two current printer related concerns:

(1)- It seems like I have a lot of waste ink for no more than we've printed.
(bout 1/2 of a bottle...and we've prob only printed 400ish square feet)

(2)- I'm worried that for some reason my orange or green channels will clog up...since our printer gets (relatively) little use and I've read where people have had trouble with this.

As a side question, I wonder if anyone is successfully using an aftermarket ink in their Epson GS6000?

Any feedback appreciated!

Any questions welcomed.

parrott

I have nothing to do with production, but I will tell you what our guy in digital has told me. We have been running a GS6000 since August and had the same concerns as you, but put those to rest. As far as the ink waste, we were noticing A LOT of ink waste after only having the printer a few weeks. I think that the printer defaults to a medium cleaning every 8 or 12 hours, wich is over kill and uses A LOT of ink. I believe that we changed that to the lightest cleaning every 24 hours and have not a had a single issue. The waste has been very minimal since we have changed our settings.

As far as print heads clogging, I am not going to say it won't happen, but I am not too concerned. As long as your machine is running its daily cleanings, I think it will be fine. We go days to weeks with out running anything in digital and then we will be running non stop for several weeks. We have had one nozzle clog that we noticed when running our daily print test. We ran a light cleaning and it cleared it right up. To my understanding, they have solved the problem with the green heads clogging up by reformulating the ink. Hell, Epson just sent me an email asking me how many green inks I had on the shelf. I told them 2 and 1 in the machine, the next day I had 3 new green inks to replace the existing ones. They will step up and solve any problems you have.

GoodPeopleFlags

As far as aftermarket ink goes, if you're machine is under warranty, it will be voided if you use any other ink than Epson's. If you're machine isn't under warranty, I, personally, wouldn't use anything except Epson.

PromoGuyTy

Thanks

I have nothing to do with production, but I will tell you what our guy in digital has told me. We have been running a GS6000 since August and had the same concerns as you, but put those to rest. As far as the ink waste, we were noticing A LOT of ink waste after only having the printer a few weeks. I think that the printer defaults to a medium cleaning every 8 or 12 hours, wich is over kill and uses A LOT of ink. I believe that we changed that to the lightest cleaning every 24 hours and have not a had a single issue. The waste has been very minimal since we have changed our settings.

As far as print heads clogging, I am not going to say it won't happen, but I am not too concerned. As long as your machine is running its daily cleanings, I think it will be fine. We go days to weeks with out running anything in digital and then we will be running non stop for several weeks. We have had one nozzle clog that we noticed when running our daily print test. We ran a light cleaning and it cleared it right up. To my understanding, they have solved the problem with the green heads clogging up by reformulating the ink. Hell, Epson just sent me an email asking me how many green inks I had on the shelf. I told them 2 and 1 in the machine, the next day I had 3 new green inks to replace the existing ones. They will step up and solve any problems you have.

Thanks for info- just the feedback i was looking for- Ty

PromoGuyTy

That's kinda what I was thinkin...

As far as aftermarket ink goes, if you're machine is under warranty, it will be voided if you use any other ink than Epson's. If you're machine isn't under warranty, I, personally, wouldn't use anything except Epson.

Thats kinda what i was thinkin

reading the fellers catalog, good old frank says in the ink part of the catalog that "it is illegal for a printer manufacturer to void your warrenty or not service your printer if you use non oem or alternative ink. it is illegal for them to do so under the magnusin-moss warrenty improvment act and the sherman and clayton antitrust act and is punishable by law. you can go to fellers website and look it up apparently......was just reading it tonight. i have a roland and will stick with the oem inks as i know i'll have no issues with them, but i know plenty of people using after market inks with no issues......