• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EPSON PRO 9600 questions

dj_elite

So I have been on the market for a used printer, since mine died. I have came across a really good deal on a Epson Pro 9600. I do not know a lot about these printers. I have read they could be loaded with two different type of inks when first purchased. Photographic or ultrachrome, and from what I believe the ultrachrome would be what I want for sign stuff correct? I am coming from a Mutoh Rockhopper 38"(falcon jr). I was wondering if anyone can give me some useful information about this printer and let me know if it is worth buying. I mainly print on vinyl (oracal 3651), magnetic material (magnum) and was wondering if the Epson Pro 9600 printer can too. Also I use Flexi v8.6. Will Flexis RIP work with this printer? Also is there a heater on this printer? Does it even need one with the type of ink? How long are inks rated outdoor and indoor? Any information would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance :thumb:

brush1

I had this printer in the past....6 or 7 years ago with ultrachrome ink.
You can use it for outdoor printing but you need to laminate everything.
You will need special coated media (expensive).
You will have better quality prints then from solvent printer.
It is maintenance free compare to solvent printer.
Some of my decals lasted outdoor with a lot sun exposure (S. California, beach area) for over 4 years without any problem.
This printer has his own rip.
Just my experience.

d fleming

I have a 9500 for the last 7? years. Use it only for indoor work using archival pigment ink set. Great for indoor, photo work and film positives. Using seiko solvent printer for large outdoor, etc. My exp. with the epson is that it is a great machine for what it is intended. Laminated in Florida sun 1 year outdoor MAYBE.

dj_elite

Im trying to stay with ventless/eco solvent ink or similar. I like the response from Roland owners, but almost everything is a print/cut system. I just need a printer. Does HP make anything worth looking at besides there new latex?

brush1

I have Versacamm (2 of them). It is not 100% odorless. Eco solvent is not eco friendly ink. Economical is propably right name. When 2 printers are working whole day I usually have huge headeck next day.
They are in 3K sqft retail space.....with great ventylation.

jnataros

I had this printer in the past....6 or 7 years ago with ultrachrome ink.
You can use it for outdoor printing but you need to laminate everything.
You will need special coated media (expensive).
You will have better quality prints then from solvent printer.
It is maintenance free compare to solvent printer.
Some of my decals lasted outdoor with a lot sun exposure (S. California, beach area) for over 4 years without any problem.
This printer has his own rip.
Just my experience.

I've had the same experience; I am also currently in the process of converting one of my 9600's to Sepiax ink... FLAAR says this ink is pretty great as long as you get the heaters right...

I'll let you know how it goes.

Josh