• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S50675 error 1A39... New Print Heads needed? New Main Board? Help!

McLeod Graphics

Hello, I'm Greg. I'm new here and I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I'm trying to start up a new business. I came across what I thought was a good deal on a second-hand printer (Epson SureColor S50675). The guy who sold it to me told me said it would need some maintenance, possibly including new heads, due to it sitting unused for 6 months. So I was prepared to spend a good bit of money to get it running.

I got an Epson tech out here and I think he just made things worse. Before, I could leave the printer on and it would cycle the inks periodically as it's supposed to. I didn't attempt to print anything before it was serviced. The tech did several test prints, cleaned the heads, and was able to gradually bring back most of the color. Problem was, he was able to do a light cleaning, but whenever he would select a medium or heavy cleaning the printer would come up with an error (1A39) and he'd have to shut it down. He said that means the heads are overheating because they're not getting any ink through them and probably means the heads need to be replaced. He also said it could be the pump caps (after telling me previously the pump caps seem to be working fine). Now, since the tech has left, the printer won't even stay on long enough to cycle the inks. It comes up with the error and I'm forced to shut it down. I can't even access the menu from the printer OR a connected PC. The tech said it could mean that I need new print heads, or new pump caps, or a new main board, or new damper kit, or any combination of those things.

So I'm stuck. I don't want to spend $4,000 on new heads and not even be sure it would fix the problem! I also don't want to replace $900 pump caps when it only needs new heads, etc. etc. I have the service manual and I have thought about possibly buying some heads from eBay ($3,480 for two) and attempting to install them myself. I have some experience building computers and doing light board repair but this printer intimidates me, and I can't even access the software to release pressure from the ink lines! I've also thought about selling the printer and just buying a new one, but who would buy a machine that doesn't work (besides me)?

I'm on a budget and I'm starting to feel like I've gotten in over my head. Anyone have some experience with this sort of thing? Any feedback or advice would really be appreciated.

unclebun

If the printer had been shut down for 6 months, I wouldn't have had the tech try to revive the heads; I'd have just planned to replace all the ink handling parts. Heads, dampers, capping stations. That said, I've read that people have gotten their printers to clear the 1A39 error by shutting it down, opening the lid, putting something in the sensors to fool it into thinking the lid is closed. Then turn it on, and when it starts to move the head carriage push on it so it alarms and stops. Then shut down and turn back on again.

McLeod Graphics

If the printer had been shut down for 6 months, I wouldn't have had the tech try to revive the heads; I'd have just planned to replace all the ink handling parts. Heads, dampers, capping stations. That said, I've read that people have gotten their printers to clear the 1A39 error by shutting it down, opening the lid, putting something in the sensors to fool it into thinking the lid is closed. Then turn it on, and when it starts to move the head carriage push on it so it alarms and stops. Then shut down and turn back on again.
Yes, I had read something like that but wasn't sure if that was a safe method. As far as I understand, the printer had been left powered on so that the ink could cycle through. That's what the seller told me, anyway. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

FactorDesign

Wish you the best of luck.
We just replaced our S50675. I had no idea anyone else even owned that machine, since we could find so little info on it. Ours had a fault with one of the capping station motors where it locked UP and couldn't release to allow the heads to move. The quote to fix it was more than what the machine would sell for on global garage, so we decided to upgrade our printer earlier than planned rather than throw money at an older machine that might develop more issues later on.

Other than the capping station motor, I believe our machine is in perfect condition, so if you needed it for parts, I'm sure the owner would make you a good deal on it. It's been unplugged for about a month, so the heads might not be useful, but we do have 2 full sets of unopened ink and the main board if you need that.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

I'm trying to start up a new business. I came across what I thought was a good deal on a second-hand printer (Epson SureColor S50675). The guy who sold it to me told me said it would need some maintenance, possibly including new heads, due to it sitting unused for 6 months. So I was prepared to spend a good bit of money to get it running.

I got an Epson tech out here and I think he just made things worse. Before, I could leave the printer on and it would cycle the inks periodically as it's supposed to. I didn't attempt to print anything before it was serviced. The tech did several test prints, cleaned the heads, and was able to gradually bring back most of the color. Problem was, he was able to do a light cleaning, but whenever he would select a medium or heavy cleaning the printer would come up with an error (1A39) and he'd have to shut it down. He said that means the heads are overheating because they're not getting any ink through them and probably means the heads need to be replaced. He also said it could be the pump caps (after telling me previously the pump caps seem to be working fine). Now, since the tech has left, the printer won't even stay on long enough to cycle the inks. It comes up with the error and I'm forced to shut it down. I can't even access the menu from the printer OR a connected PC. The tech said it could mean that I need new print heads, or new pump caps, or a new main board, or new damper kit, or any combination of those things.

So I'm stuck. I don't want to spend $4,000 on new heads and not even be sure it would fix the problem! I also don't want to replace $900 pump caps when it only needs new heads, etc. etc. I have the service manual and I have thought about possibly buying some heads from eBay ($3,480 for two) and attempting to install them myself. I have some experience building computers and doing light board repair but this printer intimidates me, and I can't even access the software to release pressure from the ink lines! I've also thought about selling the printer and just buying a new one, but who would buy a machine that doesn't work (besides me)?

I'm on a budget and I'm starting to feel like I've gotten in over my head. Anyone have some experience with this sort of thing? Any feedback or advice would really be appreciated.

Toss it, outsource your work.

McLeod Graphics

Wish you the best of luck.
We just replaced our S50675. I had no idea anyone else even owned that machine, since we could find so little info on it. Ours had a fault with one of the capping station motors where it locked UP and couldn't release to allow the heads to move. The quote to fix it was more than what the machine would sell for on global garage, so we decided to upgrade our printer earlier than planned rather than throw money at an older machine that might develop more issues later on.

Other than the capping station motor, I believe our machine is in perfect condition, so if you needed it for parts, I'm sure the owner would make you a good deal on it. It's been unplugged for about a month, so the heads might not be useful, but we do have 2 full sets of unopened ink and the main board if you need that.

I'm having the same thought about throwing good money after bad. I just spent $1,100 on inks so I'm good there. I'm wondering if it might need a new board since that is one of the possible fixes for that error in the service manual. Would you pass my info along in case I need parts? 404-617-5592 I'm in Atlanta. Thanks for the reply!

-Greg

McLeod Graphics

Use it for a trade in and get yourself a new printer. And outsource your work is great advice until you get a new printer.
The problem with outsourcing is that I don't have any work TO outsource. The reason I got into this in the first place is that my friend who owns a sign business suggested I buy this printer so that he could outsource work to me. So, other than that, I don't have any clients or work lined up right off the bat. I only recently filed my LLC so I'm just starting out. I hadn't thought about trading the printer in. I guess I didn't know that would even be an option but I'll look into it. Thanks!

ProPDF

You are barking up the wrong tree with a used printer like this on a startup especially the older Epson Surecolors which had problems. The new surecolors are great though. Know that Epson did change the heads/part numbers on that printer because they were having so much trouble with them so make sure if you buy Epson surecolor heads on eBay they are NOT old stock.

You would be better off looking for either a used Roland Sp540i/Sp540v or VP540 all of which are 54inch print and cut machines. Throw the ink on eBay and cut your losses now. If you want to get a new printer look at the Epson S40600 from your dealer or grimco whichever is closer to help you they are $9k after rebate and maybe cheaper if your dealer has one in their office as a demo. I would suggest outsourcing being a tool in your belt as well but picking up a printer really helps to speed up grasping things if you are new. Good luck