• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S60600 Ink Durability

Glavin_ID

We are in the process of choosing between the Epson S606000 and an HP Latex 365. I have read all the threads and done all my research so we don't need to get into the argument over which one is better. My specific question is about the durability of unlaminated prints. I have seen some feedback that the Epson inks scratch very easily when not laminated. Do any current users have feedback on this issue? We are currently running an Epson GS6000 and haven't had any ink durability issues to speak of.

Joe House

Hey Glavin, I think that while most inks are pretty UV stable any more, they all recommend lamination if the print will be subject to abrasion. As to whether or not either of those meets your needs, you should ask for print samples off of any machine your considering and do some scratch tests yourself. If you're serious, any dealer would be happy to get you some print samples.

Good Luck

Glavin_ID

Thanks, I am aware of the general capabilities of both technologies, I have just read a couple of threads that mention these new inks scratch very easily.

Maybe I should be more clear with my question, are the inks in the S60600 any less abrasion resistant than other eco solvent inks?

Glavin_ID

I am actually most concerned about moving prints around the shop and unlaminated signs in/out of install trucks. We do a lot of commercial real estate work and the customers dont want to pay for lam because the signs are usually out for less than a year. I just want to make sure the new inks at least perform as well as the old eco-solvent inks.

CanuckSigns

If unlaminated ink durability is your primary concern, go with the HP, this is coming from a s80600 owner, the inks are on par with other eco solvent machines, but HP has the best scratch resistance out there.

Glavin_ID

Definitely not my primary concern, but Canuck I saw a thread you participated in from a while back that made me nervous. Guy said everything scratched really easily just moving prints around the shop and you chimed in and kind of called BS. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue with other users.

Bly

We have a 60600 and HP360s.
We don't send anything printed with Epson inks unlaminated, but only because we have the option to use latex.
Latex are super scratch resistant. The eco sol inks do mark easily with the edge of your fingernail.
Some other eco sol users may have a different opinion.

CanuckSigns

Definitely not my primary concern, but Canuck I saw a thread you participated in from a while back that made me nervous. Guy said everything scratched really easily just moving prints around the shop and you chimed in and kind of called BS. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue with other users.

We don't laminate short term stuff like coroplast yard signs, but everything else get laminated. With the Epson, you can scratch the ink with something like a car key pretty easily, but general handling around the shop is fine.

SignMakeHer

I've been going back and forth between eco solvent and latex since I left ISA a few weeks ago and just yesterday I purchased the Epson S40600.

I think if the bulk of your work is not laminated, go for the HP - but also know you will need an electrician if you don't already have 220v in your shop.

I know of a shop that uses the spray can Frog Juice on eco solvent prints for real estate signs. The word is, it's a great quick way to provide scratch resistance without having to compromise color with the latex. Of course, the color aspect is up for debate in my opinion and after seeing the eco solvent Mimaki, Roland, Mutoh and Epson, and then the HP Latex, I think the Epson prints are the most brilliant in color and detail. This is just my opinion.

I wanted the HP Latex to avoid laminating but realistically latex prints should be laminated too. What I also like about the HP is that it's more eco friendly and there's no smell to the ink, but then I learned that you can smell the vinyl heating up in the HP which isn't something you think about until you experience it.

I chose the Epson for print quality and the 2 year warranty promotion, and because it's same day lamination. Once my printer arrives I'm happy to post pictures of my setup.

Lastly, I also have a Gerber Edge 2, which is a thermal printer. I've had it for years and it's scratch resistant so for certain jobs that I need done same day - I use my Edge. The only major drawback is that it only prints 11.8"h. So between the Epson S40600 and the Edge I feel like all bases are covered for now and I'll wait until they produce a printer that doesn't require lamination at all.

Good luck and let us know which machine you end up with!

Tatonka

I've had an S80600 for a year now, and have never noticed anything getting scratched moving around the shop. That includes rolling multiple sheets up to carry between buildings.

Evan Gillette

I have not noticed any less durability with our epson compared to other eco-solvent inks. I just ran a thousand decals for a customer who gives them away and left them unlaminated. After cutting them apart with a Metoschnitt I did not notice any scratches or damage. Ink adhesion and durability on banner material seems to be better that my mutohs, but i have no data to quantify this.

KeithMan

I think it has a lot to do with the material. We have been running a S40600 for a couple years now and some materials scratch very easily, where others are fine. None are what I would call durable, but if something is easily scratching with two swipes of a fingernail, you should be looking at another brand of material. We found Bantex to scratch easily, but Briteline IM3201 seems pretty durable.