Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson S70670

Discussion in 'Epson' started by ezposter, Feb 22, 2013.

1. ezposter

ezposter New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Just installed the 10 color S70670. In case anyone is interested. We are replacing the GS6000 which has performed flawlessly since it was released (we bought it shortly after release). We will be driving it with Caldera 9.1 RIP.

Tags:
  2. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    S70

I was told they were on back order, how did you get one?

3. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I was told some started shipping the end of last week and will be in stock this week. I am assuming those that ordered them started receiving them.

4. ProColorGraphics

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am VERY interested in hearing what you think of it after you run it a little. Especially with the print quality, white and silver inks!

5. ProColorGraphics

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Any new updates? What do you think of it so far?

6. KaranGrewal

KaranGrewal Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Edmonton, Alberta
    please post updates

7. Haakon

Haakon Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Norway
    OP has not been logged in to the forum since 4 minutes after making that first post..

8. Tom K

Tom K New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    SC30670 Updates?

Any new updates on this printer?

9. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    He is too busy making money.

10. ezposter

ezposter New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    S70 Update

Sorry for being away. We have both the GS6000 and the S70 and can make a good comparison. The GS6000 seems out of date next to the SureColor.

On the S70 the pinch rollers are similar to a vinyl cutter - they slide from side to side and you can determine how many to use. If you are printing multiple layers of ink (adding white and/or silver), you only have a roller at each edge of the media so the media can be rewound backwards to print another layer. We recently printed some automotive decals with a graphic of a wrench, which we printed at 25% coverage, and the customer was delighted.

I like the image improvement technology in the SureColor better than the GS6000. It's more of a gradient mask similar to our flatbed and the Seiko Colorpainter H2 series. The silver works well and so does the white. You get a prompt daily to remove the silver and white to shake the cartridges briefly. It also does a recirculation on a built in schedule. The larger print head does make a big difference in print speeds compared to the GS6000, which also has two print heads. Moving from the GS6000 to the S30 doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Even though I have Onyx Production House and the printer comes with the scaled down Gamma Print, we are using Caldera. It has special features built in to allow printing of White or Silver and Color at the same time in layers instead of pulling the media back into the printer to print an additional layer.

There is a special paper roll that comes with the printer that is used to fine tune the feed and take up reels so that they are aligned. The adjustment was only off about 1/16" in the front and 1/8" in the back. We never had consistent results in this area with our GS6000. The feed roll on the S70 is also motorized and maintains a customized tension that is set for the media type in the control panel or RIP. The "float bar" that maintains tension on the take up side is ultra light so it doesn't affect the feed of the media, but has additional weights that are clipped on for media that needs more downward pressure such as banner material. All of this extra "engineering" means that banding can be eliminated once a media is "configured". The user can configure 30 types of media on the panel. The colors between the S70 and GS6000 are hard to tell apart, even though the green ink on the GS6000 was replaced by grey on the S70. Hope this helps.

11. parrott

parrott Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Vol Nation
    Saw some test prints off one these from a local shop and all I can say is...wow. Very impressive.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  12. ProColorGraphics

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Just curious if you still like your S70? Any pros or cons you would be willing to share after running it for a while now? How is the white and silver as far a quality, durability and keeping the heads clean and cleared out?

13. ezposter

ezposter New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    May Update

I like the S70670. Quality is better than GS6000. You have to setup each media in the panel and get the feed adjustment right. White and silver work fine - no clogging issues. The capping and wiping area has to be cleaned more often than the GS6000. Probably the trade off for the more durable inks. Pinch rollers are spaced apart and can be moved out of use to print multiple layers of white and color. Takes some getting used to. We ordered a second one without white and silver - it came today.

14. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Did epson now put auto feed calibration in the S70's? I thought that was a new feature but I must have been mistaken.

15. Work2Play

Work2Play New Member

May 14, 2013
    They did but it does not work. I have been told they will have a firmware update in about 3 weeks that will get it going.

16. ProColorGraphics

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    So after a couple of months, what do you think of your S70? Would you recommend one to someone looking at getting one?

17. zagoaristides

zagoaristides New Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Same question... we are in the way of getting one. But we are interested in your experience because this machines is about to enter our country (Argentina).

Thanks.

18. ProColorGraphics

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Any update to by the people that have these as to what you think of them?

19. jddzigns

jddzigns New Member

Jun 23, 2014
    When you say "more durable inks" are the inks for fade resistant or more resistant to scratching or both?