• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Stylus 7800 Pro printer

Darklight

Can anyone suggest the preffered method of lamination to make 7800-printed vinyl last as long as possible?

Last edited:

Pro Image

ONE WORD>>>>>>>>>>>

The BIG SQUEEGEE..............

Check out Dales link at the bottom of the page to order....................

Darklight

Saw it at Ft. Worth show.....looked like a great idea, thx. Finally, suggestions for the specific laminate to apply with it?

Pro Image

I use Lamex from Feller with good results.........I also use Oracal 210 ..........
I know its kind overkill but you never know................lol

mediaman

darklight,

The Roland GX-24 comes with CutStudio, which allows you to print, using Illustrator or Corel, to the Epson (with crop marks) and then cut the graphic on the GX-24. Epson's Ultrachrome inks are waterproof and UV resistant. They will hold up very well outside. I'd laminate anything that goes on a vehicle. Banners will be more scratch resistant if you hit them with a coat of ClearStar's ClearJet spray. If you need additional info email me - randy at ijsupplies dot com

ColesCreations

Actually I printed and thermally laminated, put the sticker on the back of a car, laminate did not stick to the coated vinyl, got water in between, tore off the laminate, 6 months later it still looks fine...

Anyway, the Ultrachrome ink is longer lasting than I anticipated, but I do not sell it for outdoor use. For outdoor use, we print with the Summa DC1, with good results. Don't laminate most things.

Epson stylus

So what is the overall consensus on this printer. I have been talking too Beacon Graphics about purchasing a printer, and this one caught my eye. I know it isn't perfect for signage, but was wondering if it would be servicable for small decals, and some signage. My wife is a photographer and I was really interested in this printer because we could both use this machine. What do you all think. I believe that it only has one type of media available and it is epson.

Bogie

I used an Epson 10600 for the past few years with some VERY particular researchers... The Epson materials are VERY hard to beat. 99.9% of the stuff was inside use, and I don't think I ever noticed any gnarstiness...

mediaman

ColesCreations,

I would NOT use hot lam on vinyl, especially coated vinyl. Pressure sensitive works best. For longer-term outdoor use, we recommend printing on the Epson with two cut lines, about a ½" apart. After printing, cut both lines on the GX-24 (or cutter with an Optical Eye), laminate, put it back in the cutter and cut only the outside line. Now the graphic will have a ½" overlap of laminate that will protect the edge from absorbing water into the coating. This is important on vehicles as water will easily be forced into an unprotected edge and mold will grow. Using the overlap method allows for graphics that can last up to 3 years, though I wouldn't guarantee that to the customer. Hope this helps.

Darklight

I really appreciate all the input here guys.
I have a customer asking if I can make helmet decals for his football team. Anybody have any thoughts about whether or not this printer could print these type of items? As you all know, They have to take alot of abuse...

mediaman

As far as I know, there is no cast vinyl compatible with the Epson. I think compound curves are beyond the capability of the Epson since all the material for water-based Ultrachrome inks is coated and calendered. You may be better off sub-ing out the helmet graphics to someone with a solvent printer and have it printed on cast vinyl or Convex, as Jackpine suggested. No matter what material you use it must be laminated or at least clear-coated.

Media

They only media available for this printer is calendared. I spoke with a sales rep. from Beacon Graphics and he says that other companies will begin making compatible vinyl in the near future.

Darklight

Im such a noob....I thought this printer might save some time! It does great quality for indoors, I just need to get over the idea that it should be equally good for outdoor applications. Im really learning alot from everyone here, so thanks for the continuing replies!

Yes I believe it will do some outdoor applications. I am really considering buying one. The quality of the prints and the price too buy a new one are very tempting. I am going to check one out a beacon graphics in the near future. I would like to do small run decals, signs,banners, and vehicle graphics. The vehicle graphics are what make me nervous. I would encapsulate all graphics. I was also wondering about the media conforming to vehcile applications. I would most likely be doing truck doors,us dot numbers, etc. Doing trucks with rivets using this media is what really scares me. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Urban Image

So what is the overall consensus on this printer. I have been talking too Beacon Graphics about purchasing a printer, and this one caught my eye. I know it isn't perfect for signage, but was wondering if it would be servicable for small decals, and some signage. My wife is a photographer and I was really interested in this printer because we could both use this machine. What do you all think. I believe that it only has one type of media available and it is epson.

Take a look at Canon, too. They make some outstanding machines and are often times a bit lower priced. I, personally, like the W8400 especially if you are just starting out.