• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Stylus 9600 with Ultrachrome

j2signs

We just purchased a used Epson Stylus 9600 with Ultrachrome ink. This is our first venture down the printed graphic road. Up until this point, we subcontracted our printed material.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for what type of vinyl they use on a similar machine for exterior signage applications?

When we went to purchase vinyl from our supplier, he asked if this was a solvent based printer. I looked through the manual, the sheets from the ink and can't seem to find if it is considered a "solvent" based printer or rather it uses "solvent" based inks.

Thanks everyone in advance! This board has provided me with a wealth of information and advice.

Robert M

Epson

You will need a coated vinyl for your aqueous printer. There are a few out there that claim to last 6 months outdoors. Expect to spend about a buck a square foot for it. You can always buy it on line from Epson

j2signs

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked on the Epson site and didn't see anything about the vinyl.

Thanks again

knucklehead

LexJet has some, Avery makes some if you wish to use Avery. You will need an aqueous coated vinyl, and some type of laminate, spray or sheet. You can make some nice stuff on PhotoTex too.

G-Artist

When I was shopping for a WF printer I spent lots of time reading the free FLAAR reports.

Seems like their actual test experience rates Epson inks totally unsuitable for any sort of sun exposure if I recall correctly.

Jager

Sounds like your in the same boat as I am with my Epson 10000.

I'm considering the new types of water based inks starting with Sepiax. Sepiax claim to be cheaper and far more economical to run and with similar performance to all the solvent inks, they even bury Latex inks. The down side is you'll need to heat the media before printing on it. There is some question of whether some vinyls will jam the printer head due to the vinyl being softening via the 130F degree heat required to fix the ink.

The wild thing is, these inks are practicly made for Epson pezio print heads......

I'm keeping my eye on the new inks for sure, this will transform the print industry as it stand now... not to mention it will make our printers cutting edge... no solvent, no smell, inks that print on anything, 30% more cost effective and last as long. Beside you can claim eco friendly where solvents can't.....
.:cool1:

Cheers