• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Support is TERRIBLE!

jetgraphicsmi

I don't normally gripe about stuff on a public forum but I'm at my wits end here.

About two years ago we went to a sign show in Atlanta, I forget if it was ISA or what. Our lease on our Roland VG-540 was up, and we had nothing but trouble with that printer and the Tru-Vis inks until the last year we owned it, and Roland finally reformulated the inks and overhauled the printer's firmware. I think we eventually ended up replacing all the print heads in that machine. Anyway, I vowed to never purchase another Roland. I had heard great things about Epson. My Wensco guy tried to steer me away, because he said Epson services their own machines and we'd wait a long time for service if we had a problem. Well, here it is, a year and a half after we took delivery of a band new Surecolor 80600 and we're getting terrible banding. Like someone threw a switch, one day it was fine, the next it wasn't. I contacted support from Grimco, who we bought the machine from, and they suggested I buy a cleaning cartridge for each ink cartridge slot (10) and a complete set of inks and flush the lines. That sounded not only expensive, but extreme. No, mind you, we purchased an extended warranty. So, in my world, if I purchase additional warranty, when I have an issue, someone (I don't care who at this point) should show up and fix it at no charge. So the Grimco guy gave me the number for Epson support. I call them. Wait on hold a reasonable time and get a well meaning chap that sends me a PDF with lots of things to "try". Nothing has worked. I have cleaned, deep cleaned, calibrated, adjusted and gone so far as to reinstall all the drivers and software. The problem persists. It doesn't matter what resolution, what material profile, etc. The banding is still there, and noticeable.

So, the technician from Epson mailed me and basically said to call back or email if those things didn't work and he's call me back. So here it is a week later and no calls or replies to my email. Yesterday I decided to call. I get through and they ask for the serial number and I get, "Oh, you've been assigned to (the guy I talked to at first who hasn't communicated with me in a week). He'll have to call you back." No call yesterday. In the mean time, I'm pretty much dead in the water. I can print small things, because it seems the long the print is, the more the banding is visible as the print goes. Like the first 4 to 6 inches is fine, then the banding gradually gets worse. We print a lot of wraps, so all that is on hold until we get this issue solved.

It just sucks that a machine that isn't even two years old yet, begins to show trouble, we put additional money into our warranty, and we still can't get any help. Think I need to go back to Roland and get it through Wensco, because at least they could service them and send a guy out quickly. Never had this problem with a brush and can of OneShot.

unclebun

Keep calling. I've never had a lack of response from Epson service. If the guy you want (or they want you to talk to) isn't there, tell them you've been trying and he doesn't respond so you require someone else. They will send out a technician after you talk to them.

jetgraphicsmi

Thanks. I will keep trying, obviously I can't give up until I get this resolved, if I can't print, I can't make money. It's just very frustrating. A brand new machine starts failing, and the people you pay to help you are unreliable. Not a great way to run a business.

unclebun

Your experience is completely opposite to my experience when I first got my S70670 and had a problem because inks were unavailable at my distributor yet and I ran out.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It seems to be the way the industry is going when it comes to tech work. Dealers have a hard time keeping a full time tech because often there isn't enough work to justify the full time salary. The only other options after that are to completely rely on the manufacturer techs or contract independent guys per job instead of keeping a guy on staff. So you're often competing to get on the tech's list with people all over the country.

ProColorGraphics

All Espon support is through Epson Corporate Support offices. There is no independent Epson support.
Doesn't Epson still use DecisionOne for the Surecolors? That is who I worked with in the past. On my V7000, Epson does that 100% in house. I know the techs said they want to bring the others back in house, but I didn't know if that happened yet or not.

jetgraphicsmi

Technology: making our lives easier one nervous breakdown at a time.
I 'd laugh at that if; 1: I didn't have a history of anxiety and depression, and 2: the way I made my money wasn't currently being held hostage by all that great technology making my life so much easier.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It seems to be the way the industry is going when it comes to tech work. Dealers have a hard time keeping a full time tech because often there isn't enough work to justify the full time salary. The only other options after that are to completely rely on the manufacturer techs or contract independent guys per job instead of keeping a guy on staff. So you're often competing to get on the tech's list with people all over the country.
Yes but that is par for the course when you become a dealer for anything. If you can't keep a tech busy enough to cover his pay then that falls on an ineffective sales force. Ride them like a rented mule and demand they bring in service work rather than letting them keep on doing their usual milk run. The owner can fill in the gaps, sales people can have a dual role. Either way, I don't much care for the excuse that a needed position stays vacant because they can't keep the person busy. What's the point of paying a dealer markup if the only thing they do is drop ship an order?

cmoist

You need to ask Epson to send a tech out. You need to actually say that, otherwise they will continue to try to troubleshoot over the phone and email, which takes a lot of time. I think I may have gotten an email from them per day, even though I responded promptly. Once you ask for a tech, they should overnight parts and schedule a D1 tech for the near future. Typically they will send more parts than needed (and ink).

• Agree
Reactions: Lux

MJerome

I don't normally gripe about stuff on a public forum but I'm at my wits end here.

About two years ago we went to a sign show in Atlanta, I forget if it was ISA or what. Our lease on our Roland VG-540 was up, and we had nothing but trouble with that printer and the Tru-Vis inks until the last year we owned it, and Roland finally reformulated the inks and overhauled the printer's firmware. I think we eventually ended up replacing all the print heads in that machine. Anyway, I vowed to never purchase another Roland. I had heard great things about Epson. My Wensco guy tried to steer me away, because he said Epson services their own machines and we'd wait a long time for service if we had a problem. Well, here it is, a year and a half after we took delivery of a band new Surecolor 80600 and we're getting terrible banding. Like someone threw a switch, one day it was fine, the next it wasn't. I contacted support from Grimco, who we bought the machine from, and they suggested I buy a cleaning cartridge for each ink cartridge slot (10) and a complete set of inks and flush the lines. That sounded not only expensive, but extreme. No, mind you, we purchased an extended warranty. So, in my world, if I purchase additional warranty, when I have an issue, someone (I don't care who at this point) should show up and fix it at no charge. So the Grimco guy gave me the number for Epson support. I call them. Wait on hold a reasonable time and get a well meaning chap that sends me a PDF with lots of things to "try". Nothing has worked. I have cleaned, deep cleaned, calibrated, adjusted and gone so far as to reinstall all the drivers and software. The problem persists. It doesn't matter what resolution, what material profile, etc. The banding is still there, and noticeable.

So, the technician from Epson mailed me and basically said to call back or email if those things didn't work and he's call me back. So here it is a week later and no calls or replies to my email. Yesterday I decided to call. I get through and they ask for the serial number and I get, "Oh, you've been assigned to (the guy I talked to at first who hasn't communicated with me in a week). He'll have to call you back." No call yesterday. In the mean time, I'm pretty much dead in the water. I can print small things, because it seems the long the print is, the more the banding is visible as the print goes. Like the first 4 to 6 inches is fine, then the banding gradually gets worse. We print a lot of wraps, so all that is on hold until we get this issue solved.

It just sucks that a machine that isn't even two years old yet, begins to show trouble, we put additional money into our warranty, and we still can't get any help. Think I need to go back to Roland and get it through Wensco, because at least they could service them and send a guy out quickly. Never had this problem with a brush and can of OneShot.
You should run separations of C,M,Y,K,O,G,B and see if banding is occurring in certain colors or combination of colors. I know when I was using a S70 we had multiple cartridges of ink that ruined the print heads, might be one ink that’s the culprit. Could also be the ink not properly drying in time(heating issue) or you have an issue with media feeding precisely, whether it’s the take up reel slipping or a sensor not working properly or it could be really easy and it’s just a matter of putting more pressure on the pinch rollers.

mim

0_o
What have you done so far to try to combat the banding? I'm surprised they said to buy the cleaning ink cartridges before some other steps you could try first.

greysquirrel

So for starters, Grimco does not service equipment. they would be the last person Id call for tech support. I would only use your sales rep to pressure Epson to get back to you. The printer is under warranty, that's who you need to be speaking with. you said it prints fine then fails. Are your edge guards clean or is there a buildup of ink on them? Are they in the correct position over the media? half moons? If they are not or there is a build up of ink, it will cause jet drop. Do you have any picks of what it is doing? What does your nozzle print look like? Have you printed with gutters on to isolate what color(s) are failing?
You can get help in here.

swordguy3222

I've been in the same boat, now I do the work on my 3 S80600 myself. The problem you're having sounds like ink starvation from the damper. Not too difficult to replace, part not expensive either. One test you can do to see if it's that is set a pass delay in dashboard. I do that for some stocks. Set it for 5 seconds or more up to 10 seconds and see if that helps. It might be good enough until techy no call finally calls you back.

neobruo

If I can help, I'll do it!
Hi there,
I don't know if you already solved the problem but I will give a tip. Never left the media lift lever open because if you do it the printer doesn't make the automatic periodic cleans. It starts but it stops right away because with the media lever open the printer think you will perform the media load and abort any automatic cleaning.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hi there,
I don't know if you already solved the problem but I will give a tip. Never left the media lift lever open because if you do it the printer doesn't make the automatic periodic cleans. It starts but it stops right away because with the media lever open the printer think you will perform the media load and abort any automatic cleaning.
Is this a fact? Should lever be left down when not in use? I always thought this could cause pressure points on the pinch rollers. I did notice our S60600 only ran an automatic clean once I loaded media yesterday.

ikarasu

It's always sad to see you guys down south posting about tech support.

Things are different here - The companies (Epson, and others) Tried to take the techs / support away from the dealers... but that got shut down fast. Over here Grimco services all the machines they sell... So do all the other dealers.

In my city alone, Theres 3 Techs (Grimco), 1 Tech (ND graphics), and 3 other shops, no idea how many techs they have... That are all certified to work on the printers. If something happens and the machine is under warranty...Grimco places a call to Epson, and Epson will overnight every part they ask for - They shotgun replace a half dozen items and get you up and running in 1-2 days.... no waiting on a head office tech to make a service call from another state / city.

If its not under warranty... you generally pay Travel fee + labor, and they'll suggest what it could be... and you can buy the parts and they'll come back and put them in. No shotgunning parts since you'd have to pay for them all, unless you want to.

Service is great here though - Our grimco tech can service our Epson printer, HP printer, and our Graphtec... The person who sells you the device has a tech on hand, which is good because its in their best interest to get you up and running since you're buying all your media / ink through them as well.

What is Epsons incentive on getting your machine working? Just to keep you happy / sell you a bit more ink? Not saying Epson support sucks... Just that Grimco would be more motivated to get you up and running and making money, so they can in return make money as well. I like our model better than having to deal with the manufacturer directly...